ALLANBY family of Flimby, Cumberland and surrounds.

Discussion in 'Cumberland' started by KarlTas, Jun 19, 2013.

1. KarlTas

KarlTas New Member

Hi All,
    I am on the hunt for Allanbys. The earliest one I have traced is William Allanby, I don't have dates for him other than he was buried in Flimby 18 March, 1729, his wife was Frances ?? They had 2 known children, John and Ann. Ann married Richard WATT 3 Dec 1723, some or all this line went to America.
    John married Jane ?? about 1732 and they had 12 children,
    William bn 1 Sept 1734 d 31 Oct 1808 m Anne STEWART, 3 children
    Frances (Francy) bn 1735 m 28 Aug 1760 John PEILE issue unknown
    Mary bn 1737 d Mar 1801 m 22 Oct 1764 John BOWNESS, 9 children
    Grace bn 4 Oct 1739 m 8 Apr 1765 William FALCON, 1 child
    Christopher bn & d 1741
    John bn 5 May 1742 d 6 Nov 1743
    Jane bn 29 Jan 1744 d Feb 1744
    Thomas bn 27 April 1746 d Mar 1747
    Phillip bn 25 Mar 1748 d 1776
    John bn 26 May 1750 d May 1814 m 1789 Jane HARRISON nee SMEATON, 6 children(my line see below)
    Margaret bn 1752 d 17 Mar 1833
    Christopher Gibson bn 1754 d 31 Oct 1829 m 7 Feb 1801, Mary HODGSON, 4 children

John ALLANBY and Jane SMEATON
    Christopher Gibson bn 1789
    Barbara bn 1790 d 4 May 1827 m 24 Jun 1818 John WALKER, no known issue
    John William bn Jun 1794 d 20 Oct 1847 m Elizabeth CUMMINGS (My Line)
    Jane bn 1797 d 14 Jan 1879
    Margaret bn 1797 d 30 Aug 1873 m 1 Oct 1821 Thomas WALKER, 10 children
    Joseph Stamper bn 6 Apr 1799 d 11 Mar 1868 m 18 Oct 1826 Alice WILLIAMSON, 6 children

My ancestor John William ALLANBY came to Tasmania, Australia in 1824 were he lived the rest of his life. He had 11 children and I have details on most of their descendants.

My search now is for the descendants of the rest of the Allanby family in Cumberland. I have information on the ALLANBY BOWNESS line from another member of this forum. I have been able to trace some of the families in the census and FreeBMD records, along with other online sites I have found. My biggest problem is trying to find information from the other side of the world. So any hints on where to look for information would be appreciated, and any one who has connections to the family I would love to exchange information with you.
    Bye Karlena

2. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Karlena...once I get over this blasted cold, I will go into my old FTM upstairs and see what I have date-wise on the Allanbys. I do not like this new 2012 model at all and it will take some getting used to. But I am sure we could compare data and I do know that an Allanby who was in the military bought up a huge amount of land in Prince Edward Island in Canada circa 1770 and then couldn't afford the payments when he went on "half-pay". Talk to you once I can get my printer working too. Due to my accident, I couldn't go upstairs for many months and therefore the ink dried up.

3. KarlTas

KarlTas New Member

Hi Heather,
    Sorry to hear you are not well. Hope you are on the improve soon.
    The military Allanby is Captain William ALLANBY bn 1734 married to Anne STEWART. When William and Anne went to PEI some of Anne's brothers travelled with them. I have quite a bit on the family story around that area. I even have a photo of a painting of William in his uniform.
    Bye Karlena

4. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Heading for bed (1am) but did you know who Anne Stewart probably was related to? I have snippets of letters she wrote from PEI to the Duke of Portland giving him heck for not sending a lot of money as fast as he could. Only family would dare to talk to the Duke that way, lol. I will have to find those snippets and send them to you. A researcher in PEI sent them to me. Your William Allanby and her ancestor were partners in that 1770 land deal.

5. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Hi Karlena

Just picked up this interesting thread of discussion, while researching a painting we have here, which is in all probability of your same Captain William Allanby. Researches still at an early stage, but would be interested to know if your photo and our painting are one and the same. I'm attempting to upload an image here. Hope it comes through. Nicholas

Attached Files:

6. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Hi Nicholas.......I will get in touch with Karlena later......off to an appt. I have a picture of the mother and another son, I think. She may have this.

7. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Hi Heather,
    Just been away and am having a look at this thread to see if you were ever able to compare my picture of William Allanby with Karlena's? Has she uploaded hers somewhere? It would be good to know if our images are the same. I'm trying to find out as much as I can about my painting. First the sitter, who I'm increasingly certain is William Allanby. Then I have to try and find out who painted it....

Any hep would be great. Thanks. Nicholas

8. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

She may not have notifications turned on here. She moved and I am not sure if I have the latest address. I will try the ones I have plus another Forum she is on. I am sure it is him & have another source who may have sent me a picture or info a decade ago. Will look on old computer.

9. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Thanks Heather. Appreciate your efforts. N

10. Jenny P

Jenny P New Member

Hi Karlena
    I came across your post about Richard Downward who went to Tasmania in 1822 with wife Jane and 8 children. He was my 3 x great grandfather and his first wife Frances my 3 x great grandmother. It appears he wasn't a very nice person!
    Regards
    Jenny

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2017
    Bay Horse likes this.