Carlton Hayes Mental Hospital/Lunatic Asylum

Discussion in 'Leicestershire' started by kernowmaid, Dec 30, 2015.

1. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Our very own Cornish Maid

Can anyone tell me where to find the Inmates of Carlton Hayes in the 1911 Census?

I'm looking for the wife of my gt gt uncle - Emma BROWN, nee Harrison. She was born at Hugglescote in 1866, and died at Carlton Hayes in 1927.

One of her direct descendants has told me that her husband (a swine of a man, Thomas Brown) put her into a hospital and then moved to Canada, to where their children were living, without telling her.
    I think I have the correct Death Cert: age 62y, died of pneumonia, registered by the Acting Medical Superintendent, "wife of ___ Brown, occupation unknown".

So I'm wondering whether she was put into the Asylum before 1911? (Her name is crossed out on the family's census form - Mkt Bosworth Piece 19034, Desford, and according to some Ancestry trees her own mother died in a Lunatic Asylum.)

Jane

TheBestOfTimes likes this.
  2. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

rg14 piece 19001, page 15, line 25. (Image 21 on Ancestry) Emma Brown age 46, married, occupation housewife.
    Was her husband Thomas a white smith? because there is a Thomas Brown listed on the earlier pages in the staff section

kernowmaid likes this.
  3. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

According to the National Archive the records of the Asylum are quite comprehensive and held at Leics. R O

Ma-dotcom and kernowmaid like this.
  4. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Our very own Cornish Maid

THANK YOU Londoner - I think that's probably her. Poor woman. (Her husband Thomas appears on Piece 19034, at home in Desford. Emma's name is on the form but has been crossed out.)

Unfortunately, I don't think I can prove it. There's a note on the Leics R O site that embargoes personal info for 100 years - I'll have to wait until 2027 :eek:, by which time I might be pushing up daisies myself :rolleyes:

Jane

Ma-dotcom likes this.