1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friendly Society of Operative Stonemasons

Discussion in 'Builders & Stone Masons' started by Huncamunca, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

The Modern Records Centre at the University of Warwick holds records of the Friendly Society of Operative Stonemasons of England, Ireland and Wales and its successors. See here for details:

http://www2.
    warwick.ac.uk/services/library/mrc/explorefurther/subject_guides/family_history/stone/

Deaths of Society members, and their wives and (from 1862) their children, were announced in 'fortnightly returns' 1834-1910. There is an online index to these death announcements.

One example of a fortnightly return is shown in full. See second page for format of the death announcements . . . but other parts look interesting too.

Sandiep and Ma-dotcom like this.
  2. Eve

Eve Well-Known Member

Handy tou know Huncamunca. But wouldn't you just know it - the only stonemasons I have had to research are in Scotland !

3. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

This is great Huncamunca,

I have found the names of John Stone and Richard Stone of Portland (there are a huge number of Stones on Portland:p, mostly quarrymen as is appropriate) in the obituary index; a x great aunt married a Portland Stone :D (this could get very silly)

Also I have a (distantish) connection to the Haysom family of Swanage who quarried Purbeck marble, a few Haysoms turn up in Manchester and London, not sure if they are mine ...

I may have to set some time aside one day to look through this more carefully

Huncamunca likes this.
  4. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Were their children chips off the old block? :rolleyes:

busyglen, AnnB, Doug and 3 others like this.
  5. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

It gives a whole new meaning to building a family tree - and everything you find could be said to be set in stone......

Ann
    Sorry, but you did say this could get very silly.......:D)

busyglen and mugwortismy cat like this.