1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greetings from Marion, Iowa, USA

Discussion in 'New to Our Forum?' started by Jean Durey Albers, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Jean Durey Albers

Jean Durey Albers Member

Hello Everyone! I am new to the forum so forgive me if I post things in the wrong place or wrong manner. I am basically trying to feel my way along in this family research. I am frankly frustrated because I can't get back further than 1830 in my family research! When I reach a point like this, then I do something else so it won't drive me crazy!

I haven't been on much because I had to have surgery to have 11 teeth removed. It took a lot more out of me than I thought it would! Then as everything was seeming to go well, one of my "good" teeth broke in two and fell off as I was eating a muffin. I have spent a lot of time at my regular dentists making decisions about what to do next. Last Friday I was back at the oral surgeon's to have the remaining part of my broken tooth removed. I was pretty discouraged. After 3 more weeks of healing, they will construct bridges. Meanwhile the last lost tooth is right next to my front tooth! It's so embarrassing. All I need is a pointy hat and a flying broom and I am all ready for Halloween!

Figgs, Sandiep, GrannyBarb and 7 others like this.
  2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Welcome back, Jean - and please don't fret if you post in the wrong place as it can easily be moved ;)

Dental treatment is 'orrible but I am glad to see you back with us again. :)

Have a rummage round, post your questions and we will do all that we can to help.

Jean Durey Albers likes this.
  3. Jean Durey Albers

Jean Durey Albers Member

It's nice to touch base again. I am wondering where you located? I am not at all familiar with England. Is there a good area to see a detailed map? I am looking for Bethersden,Kent, England. Thanks! Jean

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  4. Libby

Libby Well-Known Member

Welcome back to Top Dog. C|:-) Sorry your are suffering with your teeth. I sympathise:(. Kent is in the South East of England. If you google "English counties map". You should get some results. Don't forget that county borders have changed slightly over the years.
    Enjoy your research.

5. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Ooh! I have ancestors from that neck of the woods! :D

Post the details of what your are searching for in the Kent section and we will see what we can find for you. :)

6. hugh thompson

hugh thompson Active Member

7. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Welcome back to Top Dog Jean :)

8. hugh thompson

hugh thompson Active Member

Hi Ann, I forgot to wish you a happy birthday.
    Hugh.

AnnB likes this.
  9. Doug

Doug Administrator. The Main Man. Staff Member

Welcome back Jean. No such thing as a poor dentist. :)

10. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Welcome back Jean. Hope our dental problems are sorted out soon.

11. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Welcome back - it sounds like you have had a bit of a tough time recently, but good to see you again.

12. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Welcome back, Jean. :)

13. Sandiep

Sandiep Well-Known Member

C|:-)welcome Jean

14. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

Hello C|:-)and welcome

15. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Boy, can I identify with that Jean!!!! Had 5 removed in October and nothing has gone right since!! Just found out I need to have ANOTHER FOUR extracted on the bottom......not until I am ready though!! Oh, and the first replacements did NOT fit and they refuse to refund my money.....so will be out another $3,000.

Have the dentist make you a light plastic nite guard type of thing (provided you have something to hook it onto) and fill in the spot with the missing tooth with porcelain filling material......I did that and it lasted for a bit (same tooth as you). Gets rid of that witchy look, lol.
    Good luck. :)

16. Jean Durey Albers

Jean Durey Albers Member

Heather, thanks for the empathy and for the suggestion! I can't believe my dumb teeth have caused all these problems!! I take lots of meds and they caused dry mouth all the time and my gums atrophied. Not Good! Because I have several medical problems, the oral surgeon said I had to go to the hospital for the 11 extractions. Because Medicare doesn't cover any dental we were forced to pay out of pocket for the hospital, the anesthetics, and the oral surgeon. The hospital alone was $6,000! Of course I have to go back to my dentist for the bridges and that isn't free! It cost me $450 to have the broken off tooth extracted in the office. Overall, I am thinking it will be close to a $10,000 adventure, before I get through!:confused: I am worried that the bridge thingy's won't work out and that scares me to death. Another two weeks until I go back to dentist. Docs can go on a cruise and we can go to the poor house!! LOL:rolleyes: Jean

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Figgs likes this.
  17. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

{-(^^)-}Hugs for Jean.

Over the years I spent thousands of dollars on just ONE tooth. Only cost $90 to have it pulled. I started to ask to keep it, as it had been filled, root canal'd, crowned. As soon as it was gone, I stopped having all sorts of problems with my gums and adjoining teeth. :D Luckily, the gap is near the back and doesn't show.

After one procedure I commented to the Dentist that I had spent the same amount on one tooth as it cost Hubby to get an entire upper plate (denture). Why was that? He thought about it for a moment and said, "Because yours is still attached."

18. Jean Durey Albers

Jean Durey Albers Member

Thanks for the Hugs! Your's was still attached alright, ATTACHED TO HIS WALLET! I swear once I hit 50, my body started falling apart one piece at a time, kerplunk! kerplunk! and every kerplunk! is followed by a ch-ching! I'm glad you finally got some relief from your Tricky tooth. I have 13 of my own teeth left (all in the front, except for the hole caused by #14 when it broke off!)
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the bridges will work out and I can get used to them. I'd prefer implants but they are in another tax bracket! Two weeks to go. I can do it! Jean

GrannyBarb likes this.
  19. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Hi Jean....just so you and GrannyB know.....our Canadian Universal Healthcare Plan does not cover dentists or chiropractors, etc. The dentists knew if they opted into the Government Plan in the early 1960's that they would not make the fortunes that they do.

HOWEVER, our setup is different. I did have 2 out in the hospital (mine are fused into the jawbone as they found out at that time)......but if it's in hospital, it is covered by OHIP (Ontario's medical plan). But it cost me $2,000 for the 5 extractions in the same surgeon's office. Wish I could afford implants.....$5,000 per post and crown.

As for your bridges? No worries. I have had two that lasted a long, long time and were no trouble at all other than the cost, lol. :D

Jean Durey Albers and GrannyBarb like this.
  20. Jean Durey Albers

Jean Durey Albers Member

Figgs, thanks for the information! It appears that we are all pretty much at the mercy of the health care systems of our countries. I hate to complain about my insurance situation, because I know there are many who are struggling right now trying to figure out what the heck Trump's plan is going to be and if they are going to have insurance when the dust has settled on all the political fighting. I hate it when politicians forget that the impact on people's lives is what matters, not which party can garner the most votes and power.

I am eager to see if I can wade my way some of this genealogical research. It is quite a lot to try to absorb! Thank goodness for Top Dog! I appreciate the friendliness and your willingness to help! :p Jean

Libby, Chimp, Figgs and 2 others like this.