1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horton Hospital / Asylum in SURREY

Discussion in 'Institutions' started by Ma-dotcom, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Having discovered on Ancestry that a 1st cousin x 3 removed was for a short time in Horton Lunacy institution in "Buckinghamshire", [1846-1912 patients admittance register.] I spent quite some time trying to find it until I googled for Horton Asylum.

Wouldn't you know? it was in Epsom, Surrey. Sound much more likely as he lived in Surrey. I had been going to ask why he'd be sent to Buckinghamshire, & what may have bought about his admittance in 1905 -1907. By 1911 he was home with wife & 2 children so can't have been anything too severe.

Another sight worthy of a little delving, so many stories & side trails which lead one along yet another side track, sad tho' that this place as with many others had it's cemetery 'dismantled of stones' & seems to have lost any record of interments.
    If you're stuck for a good read :
    Code:
    http://studymore.org.uk/mpur2.htm
    Daniel M. 1966 writes an interesting piece, which only makes one wonder even more about the running of such places.

Sandiep, Jellylegs, Half Hour and 6 others like this.
  2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Just had a read. Thank you. Very interesting. Always wondered what went on in such institutions.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  3. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

The subject matter aside, what an enjoyable read. His style of writing is easy to read and easy on the mind. Thanks Wendy ;)

Bay Horse and Ma-dotcom like this.
  4. AnnaJenny

AnnaJenny Well-Known Member

This reminded me of my years working on psychiatric wards. Thank goodness some things move forward but sadly others don't change at all.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  5. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Very interesting...Thanks. Now I MUST get back to work!!

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  6. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

An uncle by marriage spent a short time in a similar institution in Essex, he had what was termed DTs.

Ma-dotcom likes this.