John Land c1711 - Tiverton

Discussion in 'Devonshire' started by kc9, Feb 8, 2015.

1. kc9

kc9 New Member

I'm trying to trace details of part of a branch of the Land Family. I'm especially interested in a John Land (c1711), his father James Land and his probable son William Land (1741). I perceive that John and William were baptised at Tiverton St. Peter, with William going on to marry Sarah Craze in March 1769. William & Sarah had several children, including a John (1784), who married Grace Brice in June 1805. With several John Land's born in the area around 1711'ish I've hit a brick wall regarding confidently identifying the correct one, so any help and/or guidance would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Steve Bumstead likes this.
  2. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Findmypast, which is a pay per view site, has the actual parish register images for Tiverton. There appear to be 2 John LANDs baptised there c1713 to 2 different fathers, one of whom was buried in 1716 which would obviously eliminate him from being your John LAND. Can't give you details, I'm afraid, their regulations do not permit, but perhaps worth seeing if their free 14 day subscription is still running and if so to take advantage of it, but do remember to cancel your sub before the 14 days is up if you do not want to continue it.

Janet

Steve Bumstead likes this.
  3. Steve Bumstead

Steve Bumstead Well-Known Member

Hi Kc9, as Janet says FMP have added a great number of Devon records recently. If there is no free trial available, or you don't wish to go down that route, some Devon libraries may have it for free. I know the North Devon RO do, although the library itself doesn't. You may have to hurry though, as the Record Office is due to close in April in its present format, and I'm not sure which of its resources is staying in Barnstaple. They also hold the microfilm/fiche of all of the North Devon registers

Steve