London Electoral Registers/Rolls

Discussion in 'British Electoral Rolls' started by Ma-dotcom, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

A recent reply to a post from Anabel by Jane: led me to wonder:

coupled with :
    In earlier years. 1891 - 1900s it appears only one man was listed per address whether or not there were others of voting age. ie the father or rent payer/home owner.
    My Gt.G'Dad George was listed at an address 47 Oxley st. Bermondsey /Rotherhithe in censuses & electorals 1891 - 1904, when he may have left for Tylers Hill, Kent, with his daughter Florence. His elder son took over that address from 1906- 1910 (he died in 1909) at no time were his other sons listed here. the one listed at home in 1901 (census)
    was then 22. the other listed in 1911 was at the home of his Sister in Croydon.

How then does one tell if the person they seek was in the area at that time? Other than censuses.?

Chimp likes this.
  2. Ma-dotcom

Thinking I was a clever sticks, I went back to electorals rolls, noted near neighours in Oxley st, & looked them up in later years- hoping to see who lived at no. 47 after 1910. My G'Father who married one of the daughters of the house was listed there in 1900 as was Gt.G'Father but on separate pages.
    1900:10548 George Humphrey 47 Oxley St. -dwelling house-Div. 1 -no.6 ward Rotherhithe
    1900: 11755 Henry Martin 47 Oxley st S.E. tenement-arch 683 Station Rd.
    47 Oxley St. Dockhead Div. 1 St.Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey.
    could this mean that the street wandered from Bermondsey into Rotherhithe/Dockhead?

Later years does not show no. 47 at all. Was it trashed or was the numbering changed? Perhaps it's not listed because a female (now widowed lived there with no male child of voting age.) She later married again, & moved. I notice several numbers missing in different years, maybe they were added onto the one next door. All of this when I'm trying to sort out my files, I'm surprised any of the resident ever found their way home!o_O

Now- bless 'em- When I was just thinking that I should really add a bit more to Mother's Paternal G'Mothers folk, along comes Ancestry with quivering leaves including my Devalls & Brockelbanks.
    Oh dear will it never end???:rolleyes:

3. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman. Rest in Peace.

Oxley Street is on this 1908 map>
    http://mapco.
    net/bart1908/bart37b.htm

Find "Mill Stairs" on the south bank of The Thames and Oxley Street is directly south of the "M" in Mill.

You might also be interested in this extract from Booth's Survey of London>
    http://booth.lse.ac.uk/notebooks/b367/jpg/9.html

4. Ma-dotcom

Thank you Flook, I did see the above from 'booth's survey' some time back. Also today I took a google street search after looking at a 'new-old' London street names site.
    Appears any number after 41 Oxley st. isn't up for lookees. Lot's of scaffolding about, then moves onto Parker see here:
    https://www.
    google.com/maps/place/London, UK/@51.500288,-0.071849,3a,75y,62.21h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sJGWstI0ednqpnERwWdZdyA!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x47d8a00baf21de75:0x52963a5addd52a99?hl=en-US.

Point of search: Albert not found with any certainty, Unlike the ever so cordial Canadian Electoral Rolls, London ones don't give a trade. So a gas-fitter may have gone on to anything else I guess if he wasn't 'blown up' in the nasty war.
    Just sad that my Mother & Aunt born 1905 & 1909 were not old enough to take in anything other than a Parent may have told- briefly.