Margaret Davies (Nee Roberts)

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Andrew Davies, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Andrew Davies

Andrew Davies Well-Known Member

I am really struggling to find her birth and parentage. The following is what I have confirmed so far working in reverse from her death.
    D: 30th January 1916, Knighton, Radnorshire, Wales Aged 69.
    1911 Census. Birthplace - Eglwysfach, Cardiganshire, Wales Aged 64.
    1901 Census. Birthplace - Glandovey, Cardiganshire, Wales Aged 58.
    1891 Census. Birthplace - Newtown, Montgomeryshire, Wales Aged 47.
    1881 Census. Birthplace - Newtown, Montgomeryshire, Wales Aged 37.
    Marriage 17th June 1871.
    I believe I have also found her on the 1871 Census as a servant aged 24 where she gives her place of birth as Eglwysfach, Cardiganshire, Wales (Same as 1911 census) . (Class: RG10; Piece: 5615; Folio: 13; Page: 17)
    Before this I am stumped, I know the Marriage certificate gives both fathers names but I am unable to trace anymore relatives than that.
    Should I be using a particular site for specific records? My thanks in advance for your assistance.
    Regards, Andrew.

Attached Files:

2. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman. Rest in Peace.

Find My Past have Montgomeryshire Baptisms, Marriages and Burials and there is a baptism for a Margaret Roberts/Lewis in Llansanffraid-Ym-Mechain on 26th March 1848.

The actual register entry shows that Margaret was illegitimate ('base child') and her parents were John Roberts and Margaret Lewis. A search in the marriage records shows that Margaret and John were married in the same church on 14th April 1848.

This feels right, but there may be other candidates. I'm afraid I'll have to stop now but perhaps someone else will carry on doing some digging.

Andrew Davies likes this.
  3. Andrew Davies

Many thanks Flook. I think that match may be unlikely as in three of the Census' they give a birth area between Aberystwyth and Aberdovey and according to my great Aunt; Margaret could only speak welsh at the time of her marriage, which leads me to think that she came from a very rural location further west. I am also guessing that for the census' that give Newtown as place of birth, the information was given by one of the children who were not aware.

Flook likes this.
  4. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

According to Genuki, Eglwys Fach is a chapelry in the parish of Llanfihangel and about 5 miles from Aberystwyth - my knowledge of Wales is pretty average - and the GRO Index only shows the birth registration of 1 Margaret ROBERTS in the December qtr 1847 at Aberystwyth reg district and her mother's maiden name is shown as EVANS.

Looking at the 1861 census for a Margaret ROBERTS in Cardiganshire, brings up the following family at Seyborycoed (RG9/4239, folio 6, page 5) living at Furnace Village which according to my map is next to Eglwys Fach:

Mary EVANS Head Widow 65 Almswoman Merionethshire Pennel?
    Mary do Daur Unm 24 Dressmaker Cardiganshire Seyborycoed
    Margaret ROBERTS Granddaur Unm 14 do do
    John do Grandson Unm 11 do do
    Mary JONES Granddaur 2 do do

Whether this is your Margaret or not is debatable and at the moment I haven't found Margaret or brother John in the 1851 census with any certainty - but perhaps a possibility?

Janet

Andrew Davies likes this.
  5. Andrew Davies

That seems the best lead I've had yet, thank you Janet.