1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mariners Marriage Bonds

Discussion in 'Mariners & Watermen' started by Archie's Mum, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Could some knowledgeable, clever person out there please explain what Mariners Marriage Bonds are. What would distinguish these from other marriage bonds?
    Thanking you all in advance.

2. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Just a thought :)

Could the difference be recorded to distinguish whether they were of abode or no fixed abode.?

Mariners who had no fixed parish or time enough in a port to wait for banns to be read would be put on the Mariners Marriage Bonds?

Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  3. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Is it on the Swansea Mariners site where you've found a database called "Mariners Marriage Bonds", Sue? As far as I can tell the bonds indexed there aren't a special sort of bond, just details of anyone described as a mariner that have been extracted from various collections of marriage licence bonds. (I only looked at a couple of pages but they mostly seemed to be held at the National Library of Wales, with a few from Carlisle.) Some of the people indexed are not from Wales or Cumberland so worth checking for any missing mariners' marriages, just in case!

4. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Thank you Jane. Yes, that is where I found it. I was looking around for the elusive marriage that 'popsit' is searching for and came across the reference to 'mariners marriage bonds'. Just wondering what they were. I think the monkey may have had the correct answer as I found another reference to it on another forum. Thanks again to you both.

Chimp and Huncamunca like this.
  5. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

I can see why mariners might have to marry by licence more often than those in other jobs but I'm not convinced that the bonds in this database are intrinsically different from other marriage licence bonds.

I'm guessing that the person who has created this database, who has a particular interest in mariners, has just picked out bonds relating to mariners from a much bigger collection and called them "mariners' marriage bonds".

Just guessing though and would be happy to be corrected. One way of checking might be to study the National Library of Wales catalogue to see if these are indexed there and if people with other occupations can be found in the same collection.

Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.