My "BARNETT" family from Binsted

Discussion in 'Hampshire' started by The Artful Dodger, Oct 28, 2014.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

Are really giving me grief. I know that there is an Hampshire OPC project - but Binsted doesn't seem to be covered. Does anyone have access to these parish records?

Thanks

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Depending upon the years that you are searching, Find My Past have some Binsted records transcribed from mid-1700s to mid-1800s.

3. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

I'm no longer subbing to FMP. - but this covers the right time-frame and I know that we cannot post details of what is on FMP.

Should I post my concerns now - hopefully they won't upset FMP's T & C for those who help?

4. Daft Bat

I do not think that it would be fair to expect people to risk breaching FMP's T&Cs and therefore their membership.

However, why not use Family Search to find the records that you are after as I think that most of them could be on there?

I believe that you can also search for free on FMP, just paying to see the records, so buying a few credits might be the answer should you find what you are looking for.

Remember: these are transcriptions that are available on FMP, not actual copies of the records.

5. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

Until I post details - no one will know.

I am looking for a baptism in Binsted near Alton for a John Barnett born about 1805.

He next appears in 1834 where in Binsted, he marries Susanna Simson - dau. of William and Martha [bapt. 6 July 1817 in Kingsley] on 28 October 1834.

Their 1st child is born and baptised as Harriet in Binsted on 16 July 1836. Next a son James is born and baptised in Binsted on 24 March 1839. So far things looked pretty decent and I then found John, Susan[as she became known], Harriet and James in the 1841 census - along with a 3month old transcribed as N.K. and the image is not clear as to gender.

From what I can determine, the next baptism of children for John and Susanna was not until 17 March 1844.

As I will detail later this family is a 'tad' difficult.

6. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

I wasn't asking for, nor was I suspecting, that my queries would be construed as requesting members to breach their memberships.

7. Daft Bat

That's fine, then. :)

8. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

On another site I can confirm the gender is Female and it looks very much like the age could be 3 days. The residence is in "Black Nest" which seems to be how later census records stated was a place of birth.

9. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

The connection is not for me but my wife. Depending upon what we - OK. you - can find re. the un-named infant in 1841, our interest is with the next child - and what a lovely and appropriate name she was blessed and baptised as --- Mercy Barnett.

I have found Mercy's marriage, the birth of 13 children and the deaths of 6 before 1911 and her death in 1925 at the age of 81. I have details on the other 7 children and do not require information on them.

I just want to tie up loose ends on my wife's tree.

10. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

Try Maria Barnett - birth registered Sep Q 1841, Alton. Baptism is on FamilySearch. 1851 census has a Mary Ann who is 5 years younger than James.

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  11. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

Interesting - and the 1851 census is a mess - daddy couldn't remember who was who and when born.