1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newspaper notification

Discussion in 'U.K. Forces General' started by The Artful Dodger, Mar 10, 2017.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

A person was named as a deceased W.W.1 casualty in a newspaper.

I have the medal rolls index which provides regimental details and medals and that he served in the Balkan's Theatre in June 1915.

I have not been able to find his name on the CWGC website, nor have I found his service record or a notice regarding a return of personal effects to next of kin.

My questions:
    1] Is it likely/possible that this report was in error and that the person was wounded only or just missing in action?
    2] If factual, where else apart from the above mentioned resources, would I likely find confirmation?

I'll mot provide details here but if someone is prepared to develop lines of enquiry or offer assistance, I'll provide privately.

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

It could be that the surname was spelled differently in reports, so not easy to find... it could be that first names were swapped round.... any number of reasons.

As this happened 100 years ago, why not post details and let the TD sleuths loose on the case. ;)

Eve likes this.
  3. The Artful Dodger

I'll drop you a note privately

4. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

Unfortunately records got destroyed/lost. Yes I agree with Jan he may have used a different name. It could have also been transcribed wrongly.

5. The Artful Dodger

I'm of the opinion that at the moment and for the time being I'm going to let sleeping dogs lie.

Thanks DB for assisting me.

Daft Bat likes this.