1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nottingham/Calais Lacemakers Immigrating to Australsia

Discussion in 'Textile Workers' started by Debbie's Corner, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Debbie's Corner

Debbie's Corner New Member

Hi! Looking for info and good discussion on this topic. My Ancestor James Earnest Smith was born in Calais France 1828. Aparantly he had Lace mills in Nottingham and Calais. Some of his children were born in Nottingham and others in Calais. His Father was a Lace Designer. James and his family arrived in New Zealand on the ship 'Nelson' in 1866.

GrannyBarb, Archie's Mum and Chimp like this.
  2. Debbie's Corner

I saw in an earlier forum about a book written about the Lace makers of Nottingham. Will have to check that out! An interesting family story that was passed to my Great Aunt when she was a child was that James and his family came to New Zealand to escape the Gentry churning through their land making holes with there Fox Hunts. The Smiths were such storytellers. The information I have been gleaning over the past years suggest a different story. I guess who wants to share the story of impending poverty. I do know though that they paid for their passage themselves.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Hi Debbie, welcome.
    I have Elliotts from a lacemaking family. Some of these Elliotts went to South Africa, some to Australia and stayed, others to Australia but moved on to Utah. Birthplaces are Radford, Calias, Boulogne and Sydney, Australia.
    It has been a long time since I have looked at my Elliotts though.
    George Elliott arrived here on the 'Fairlie' with the Lacemakers of Nottingham and Calais. Others to South Africa as part of the 1820's Settlers.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  4. Debbie's Corner

Hi Sue! I saw you on another earlier forum discussion. Thankyou for your response! Yes Radford was where my Ancestor James came from and his family before him. His grandfather Thomas being born 1770. Defiantly no information says anything about any kind of domestic staff. if anything James's father had a family lodging with them as well as a lodger from Boston America! A hard life. James was an adventurer though.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  5. Debbie's Corner

Have you any information about Lace Mills?

6. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I was in Nottingham earlier this year and saw where the Lace market is/was. @Flook lives in that neck of the woods and might be able to provide more information.

Meanwhile, this website, although not easy to read the pale type, makes interesting reading:
    Code:
    http://www.creativequarter.com/life/heritage/lace/

Ma-dotcom and Debbie's Corner like this.
  7. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Home page of The Australian Society of the Lacemakers of Calais Inc, has loads of information for you. Including the names of all the ships and passenger lists, the Nelson being one. Descendants of these migrants are encouraged to apply for membership. I think you would find that a great idea. You will find the true story of their plight in Calais, after fleeing there for their craft and to escape the poverty in Nottingham.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  8. Debbie's Corner

Thankyou!! Will make a cuppa and settle down for a great evening read!

Daft Bat likes this.
  9. Debbie's Corner

Brilliant! Will do!

10. Debbie's Corner

I feel sorry for my Great Aunt who worked so hard to write our family books many years ago. The early English history is just Romantic fantasy! Her and her siblings bedtime stories were often the family stories of long ago. Never mind, when I write my family books they will be interesting family myths and Ledgends. :eek:) The real story will be a page turner!

11. Debbie's Corner

Thanks so much everyone!

Daft Bat likes this.