Parents of John Webster and where and when baptised.

Discussion in 'Northamptonshire' started by The Artful Dodger, Jan 9, 2017.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

John Webster married Elizabeth Tapp 22 June 1802 in St. Nicholas Church, Potterspury. They were married by License and witness es were John SCRIVENER and Ann KING.

They had 5 children that I have found baptisms for: Richard [27 Feb. 1803], Susanna [27 Apr. 1806], Charles [6 May 1808], Sarah [23 Aug. 1813] and Mary [7 Jan. 1816] all in Potterspury.

John and Elizabeth can be found in the 1841 census in Potterspury, where he is an Ag. Lab. and his age has been rounded as 65. A John Webster was buried in Potterspury on 15 Jan. 1849 but is aged 1 year so is not mine. There is a death in Brackley vol. 15 page 134 [Jul-Sep.q.] with burial 8 Aug. 1849 which looks promising however the age from the register is 75. This would indicate a year of birth as 1774.

Baptisms can be found in Northamptonshire, England, Church of England baptisms 1532-1812 on Ancestry. I think it is safe eliminate the baptisms in Ashwell [William and Cathrn.{sic}] and Brafield [Wiliam and Elizabeth] due to names of children and the distance from Potterspury [approx. 40miles].

I like the following:
    John - parents Thomas and Sarah - Potterspury - 30 Mar. 1777
    John - Parents - Thomas and Mary - Brackley - 15 Jun. 1776
    but selecting the correct is difficult.

Suggestions please.

2. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Might this marriage help eliminate the Brackley John WEBSTER, Colin:

29 March 1798 at Brackley John WEBSTER of this parish & Sarah Osborn BAKER of the parish of Wolverton, Bucks. John signed, Sarah marked and the witnesses were William JUDGE & John BLENCOWE.

John & Sarah seem to remain in Brackley and have several children baptised at Brackley from 1799 onwards. John himself is still living in Brackley in the 1841 census described as a 65 year old Agricultural Labourer living with son Thomas & family.

I think the John WEBSTER who was buried on 15 January 1849 at Potterspury is your John WEBSTER. If you look at the actual parish register and Bishops Transcripts images, neither give an age, just "yrs" in the age column, so how Ancestry have managed to come up with a birth date of 1848, I don't know. Elizabeth WEBSTER nee TAPP is described as a widow in the 1851 census of Potterspury and he is the only John WEBSTER buried in Potterspury between 1841 & 1851.

Janet

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  3. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

Thanks Janet, it looks like his parents were Thos. & Sarah.

As for the burial in January 1849, I haven't seen the actual burial register and as Ancestry hasn't an image on site I relied upon their transcription. What also confused me was that John and Elizabeth's youngest daughter - Mary - had 2 illegitimate sons and one was named John and I have not found him in 1851.

4. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Remember the new GRO death records now give the ages at death.

The John WEBSTER, who died in the March quarter 1849 in POTTERSPURY was 75 years old.

POTTERSPURY Volume 15 Page 277

5. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

There is also a John WEBSTER, who died in the September quarter 1849 in BRACKLEY he was also 75 years old.

BRACKLEY Volume 15 Page 134

burial: 8 August 1849, Brackley, Northamptonshire

6. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

A real trap is that Colin. I found myself looking at images from Oxford yesterday for a man they transcribed with the date one member was looking for. I could find nothing any where near what their transcription said, despite looking several times & at before & after pages.

7. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

Mary - the unwed mother of 2 sons appears to have married David Tapp 11 October 1841. David was a widower and he was living with mary and her parents in the 1841 census. David's wife was Charlotte and she died in Potterspury and was buried 1 November 1837

What is interesting is that a John TAPP aged 4 was buried in Potterspury on 31 January 1842 and on 5 February 1842 a Richard Tapp aged 2 was also buried in Potterspury. At the time of their deaths they were residents of the Union Workhouse in Yardley Gobion.

8. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

There is the baptism at Potterspury on 7 January 1838 of a John WEBSTER son of Mary WEBSTER single woman, David TAPP the reputed father (his birth appears to have been registered as John TAPP in the December qtr 1837)! Plus two baptisms at Potterspury for a Richard WEBSTER, the first on 6 October 1839, son of Mary WEBSTER, Spinster & the second on 12 January 1840 son of Mary WEBSTER, Single Woman. There is no burial record that I can find between the two baptisms. I cannot find a Richard WEBSTER/TAPP born c1840 at Potterspury in the 1851 census, so he may well be the Richard TAPP who was buried in 1842, aged 2. Nor can I find a John WEBSTER/TAPP born c1838 in the 1851 census BUT a John TAPP born variously c1837/38 at Potterspury appears in the 1861 census of Potterspury and the 1871 census of Yardley Gobion, married to an Eliza. The only other John TAPP I can find baptised in Potterspury is one baptised in 1835 the son of DAVID & Charlotte TAPP but he is not with father David in the 1841 census, so did he die? There is certainly no John TAPP/WEBSTER living with David & Mary in the 1851 census of Potterspury.

No too sure whether this has helped or confused matters, Colin, certainly as regards John TAPP, but will keep looking.

Janet