Too many Williams

Discussion in 'Hertfordshire' started by annabel, Sep 22, 2013.

1. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

Not sure if this is the place..

I am researching William Ingle. His wife was Sarah Prior born about 1773 possibly in Aldbury in Herts, and died in High Street, Peckham 1842. Her father was Matthew Prior

Their children were Jemimah bap 1800 Royston, Herts
    William bap 1803 Peckham (Camberwell)
    Robert bap 1803 Peckham
    Sarah bap 1816 Peckham
    All non conformist registers

William junior went back to Wyddial Herts to marry and the family seem to keep popping to Herts, but coming back to London

I think William senior died in 1831 in Peckham and the death notice says born 1766.

But I do not know his occupation, or place of birth, or marriage. A tree says his parents were William and Ann but I cannot pinpoint anything definate

Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Family Search has the marriage of a William INGLE and a Sarah PRYOR on 5th February 1797 in Royston, Hertfordshire.

As you have said that their daughter Jemimah was baptised in Royston in 1800, this could well be them.

Perhaps a trip to the Hertford RO to have a look at the Royston Parish Records might bear fruit. ;)

3. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

The parish register marriage entry for William & Sarah is on FindmyPast as are a lot of Hertfordshire records now. The baptisms for Jemimah, William & Robert are on Ancestry's non-conformist registers but you seem to already have details of them. Interesting that Sarah is visiting sister? Jemima NORMAN in Royston in the 1851 census.

The records for the baptisms of Jemima, William & Robert show that William's home parish was St Giles Camberwell and The National Archives have a will for William INGLE of St Giles Camberwell proved in 1831. Do you have a copy of this as it may give clues to William's relatives? It is available for download at a cost of £3.36.

Janet

4. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

Thank you, I was looking on family search and I somehow missed it.
    I have looked at this marriage on Find My Past now. Unfortunately it does not really help. It says both of this parish- Royston- which may not be accurate of course. Witnesses John Pate and Jno Warren which mean nothing to me

Janet, thank you. The baptisms of the children do all show Peckham, except the first which is Royston. I just found a death notice which said born about 1766. I cant find a likely William born Royston either. But I have the will you mention, it confirms all the children and Sarah, and residence at death of Peckham, but no other clues

Is there anything else I can do?

5. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

There do not seem to be any INGLE burials in Royston which might suggest that William was not native to that parish, which of course does not help you one iota. Did William snr have a profession which might have necessitated an apprenticeship? Perhaps you could contact the owner of the Tree and see what information they have on William snr which makes him/her think that his parents were William & Ann.

Janet

6. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

John Norman married Jemima Ingle in Royston on 9 Jul 1833