1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viruses & disease in London 1951

Discussion in 'Diseases & Medical Conditions' started by Ma-dotcom, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Following up my last thread I find a key player, now Mrs Hannah M.L. Gardner, living with her brother [I think, George William Alfred ? b. 1877 ]in 1939 possible again a widow but not listed so. Also together in 1945-1950 Woolwich.

Deaths listed for both in Mar 1/4 -1951. aged in their 70s. Would this be due to a virus such as the influenza which was about at that time or just a coincidence?

2. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Could be, but also there is the chance that they had lived together so long that one missed the other and gave up. It does happen.

Flook and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. Ma-dotcom

True, & after living through another nasty war they probably had endured enough.

Chimp likes this.
  4. Londoner

Londoner Well-Known Member

That was before the Clean Air Act. winters in London were often plagued by " pea-soupers" and deaths from respiratory diseases were common.

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  5. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

There was an influenza epidemic in 1951, mainly in the north of England but it did spread to the south.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  6. Ma-dotcom

That's how I read it Jan, but wondered if....maybe there were other factors, other diseases. Sad to see them leave when I've just found them again. No, not really of mine but a healthy part there-of.
    I had no idea what I may discover when I asked a relatively simple query, but all so necessary in finding true path of rellies lineage.

7. Ma-dotcom

Back in the thick of this I find they were in fact cousins, the Mothers of these two were Sisters. What an adventure I am having here, should have left it alone by now, but intriguing little bits pop up so I have to check them all to make sure my findings are all correct.

Would a person by the name of 'GOUGH' [near enough] pronounce it as GOWE ever? I've found a typed death in FreeBMD which seems to have done this. 1892
    The husband married again just after. 1894

8. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Possibly. I know that the name Fernihough has been pronounced as Fernihow

Ma-dotcom likes this.