1729 Quaker marriage certificate

Discussion in 'Non-conformist Records' started by Huncamunca, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

I am custodian for the time being of a piece of parchment, the marriage certificate of Henry Partlet or Partlot and Alice Burson at Milton (probably Milton under Wychwood) in Oxfordshire on 23 September 1729.

This is the top part of the document (it's very springy and wouldn't lie flat):

IMG_3570.JPG

(top left-hand corner has been cut off)

2. Huncamunca

And this is the bottom part, including signatures of the groom and bride (top of last column) and numerous witnesses:

IMG_3571.JPG

3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

That is a beautiful document - and legible as well! :)

Huncamunca likes this.
  4. Huncamunca

This is my attempt at transcribing the signatures:

[First column]
    Jeremiah Waring, William Squire, John Dorne, Hannah Busbey, Ann Harding, Sarah Huges(?), Arthur Brown, Willm Greenaway, Robert Young, Edward Longshaw

[Second column]
    Elz (or Ebz?) Crowley

[Third column]
    Wm Green, Wm Spendlove, Tho Foster, Mary Spendlove, William Spendlove, Anna Roberts, Jane Hanks, Edwd Spendlove

[Fourth column]
    Henry Partlet(?) [the groom], Alice Burson [the bride], Job Partlo, Mary Pattarsn(?), William Burson, Jan(?) ???, John Burson, Sarah Busen, Robt Jfferson [i.e. Jefferson?], John Flexney

5. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing this,Jane. It is very legible for its age and wonderful to see. I recently received a photograph of an Irish quaker wedding record - much younger at 1792 but much harder to read! The Irish one was not on a separate certificate but the same words written out in a book - so your certificate was helpful in confirming the words. I gave up on the witnesses eventually!

Huncamunca likes this.
  6. Huncamunca

They are wonderful aren't they? The only other such certificate I've seen had been used by the family to record later births, marriages and deaths and so would have been like gold dust for any descendant.

I've been looking more closely at the witnesses' names. I wondered if Job Partlo might have been a relation of the groom, despite the difference in spelling. It seems likely he was, for I have now come across a reference to one Henry Partlo, with wife Alice and son Richard, being admitted to copyhold property in North Leigh in 1740 (Oxfordshire Record Office catalogue ref. SL 9/14/1D/1).

Another thing I meant to comment on was the variety of handwriting styles among the witnesses. William Burson's signature looks very old-fashioned: I wonder if he was the senior member of Alice's family, an uncle or maybe even her grandfather (from the beginning of the document we know her father, Richard, was dead).

7. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I wonder if this is the same John Partlet?

Oxford Journal 17th January 1767
    OXFORDSHIRE Wanted at Witney in this County, a person duly qualified to undertake the Care, Maintenance, Cloathing, etc. of the Poor in the said parish. Any Person or Persons who can give sufficient Security to the Parish Officers, and are willing to contract for the same, by the Year or Otherwise, are desired forthwith to send their Proposals in Writing to Mr John Wells, Churchwarden or to Mr Henry Partlet, Overseer.
    N. B. There is a large commodious Work-house and constant employment in the Woollen Manufactory for the Poor of all Ages.

Ann

8. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

There is also an article in the in the Oxford Journal of the 2nd January 1779 regarding the circulation of "large Quantities of base Counterfeit Halfpence" being "unlawfully brought into the Town of Witney". The great and the good of Witney appear to have got together and put their names to bringing the persons responsible to justice. The names include Job Partlet and Henry Partlett.

Ann

Huncamunca likes this.
  9. Huncamunca

Thank you Ann for those interesting references! Until water-powered spinning machinery was introduced to Witney, spinning was a cottage industry, usually done by women paid a pittance. If it could be done by paupers in the parish workhouses, I expect that cut the cost even more!

From the ORO catalogue it appears that 'our' Henry Partloe (another spelling variation!) was dead by 4 March 1767 when his son Richard was admitted to that same copyhold property in North Leigh (ORO ref. SL9/14/1D/2).

I will have to do some digging in the Witney and North Leigh parish registers, and Quaker records, to see if there are any clues there.

AnnB likes this.
  10. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Hmmmm. After looking at this marvellous document (jealous much) I thought I'd see what FreeReg had, but they don't have anything on Oxfordshire. The reason given "There are no entries for Oxfordshire as we have been refused permission to transcribe the parish registers" Selfish.

Huncamunca likes this.
  11. Huncamunca

At the moment there is very poor coverage of Oxfordshire parish records in online transcripts/indexes. :( The Oxfordshire FHS has published many transcripts, but on fiche and later CD, not online. But things will change: the parish registers are being digitised and will be available online eventually. I don't know if the images will be linked to the OFHS transcripts or if they will have to be re-indexed.

Many pre-1837 Quaker BMD records, from RG 6 at The National Archives, are available through BMD Registers or The Genealogist.

Chimp likes this.
  12. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

What beautiful condition the document is in, I'd like to be so springy at that age or even my own.
    How has it been stored Jane? (I've never handled parchment.)

13. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Thanks also from me Huncamunca for posting that document, I hadn't even heard of a Quaker marriage certificate let alone see one.

14. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

We still have them today though on paper not parchment. My own from some time back is (I think) rolled up in a drawer upstairs (probably the worst possible way to store it.) Everyone at our wedding signed it including elderly people and small children.

I have a few certificates from the early 1800s downloaded from BMD registers. I think these are a shortened version made for the Meeting records without the full wording. They give details of the couple and their parents and are signed and witnessed. I guess that the full version signed by all present was given to the couple to keep.

Half Hour, Ma-dotcom and Huncamunca like this.
  15. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Could this be Alice's baptism (source Oxon FHS PR Transcripts of Shipton under Wychwood):

10 November 1696 Alice BURSON daughter of Richard of Milton

Sibling Shusanna baptised 12 March 1693/94

There appear to be two families of BURSON in Milton around this time who are having children, i.e. Richard and a William BURSON - no mother's names I'm afraid. Looking at the names of the witnesses on the document (I am so envious), there is what appears to be a Sarah BUSEN (BURSON?), John BURSON & William BURSON. There is a baptism for a Sarah BURSON daughter of William of Milton at Shipton on 12 March 1688/89.

There is a burial record for a Richard BURSON of Milton at Shipton on 21 March 1705/6 and one of a William BURSON of Milton at Shipton on 6 March 1712/13.

Perhaps puts a little more "flesh on the bones" for Alice at least.

Perhaps this is relevant to witness Job PARTLO as there is a baptism at Shipton on 10 November 1718 of a Sarah PARTLET daughter of Job of Hayley.

Janet

Huncamunca likes this.
  16. Huncamunca

The parchment, which is about an inch wider and an inch longer than a piece of A3 paper, has been neatly folded up into a square, about 5" across. It's yellower than it looks in my photos. The back is quite smooth with a waxy feel, while the side with the writing is rough. Considering its age it is in very good condition.

I have seen some horribly mouldy bits of parchment, and even one where all the words had disappeared because the ink had turned to dust and fallen into the folds of the document.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  17. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Thanks Jane, that brings it a little closer.

18. Huncamunca

Though Mary's signature does appear to begin with a 'P', I am now wondering if it is really a 'J', and what I have transcribed as 'tt' is instead 'ff', making her signature Jaffarsn not Pattarsn.

Why? Because I think she may have been Robert Jefferson's wife. FamilySearch has a marriage of a Mary Partlet (daughter of Hen. Partlet) to a Robt Jefferson at Witney on 1 January 1725. Though the index entry doesn't say this was a Quaker marriage, the film number (813694) relates to records of the Society of Friends, Banbury and Witney Monthly Meetings.

19. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

This extract from the Wychwood magazine in 2009 describes the location of the Milton meeting house in Green Lane.
    http://www.
    thewychwood.co.uk/archives/Vol30No1/quakers.pdf

The article about clocks mentions William Green - maybe the Wm Green who was a witness at the wedding?

Huncamunca likes this.
  20. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

they are not that selfish Chimp because they have indexs free to search in
    all the Oxfordshire study centres .....I live close to Banbury study centre so
    can do lookups if needed

Ma-dotcom likes this.