1729 Quaker marriage certificate

Discussion in 'Non-conformist Records' started by Huncamunca, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

BMD registers have Mary Partlet's 1725 marriage and Henry Partlot's 1729 one. Both RG6, so quaker marriages.

Huncamunca likes this.
  2. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Ah, thank you Janet, that looks very likely. I had been wondering why Henry and Alice married at Milton, when there was a Quaker meeting house in Witney, but it looks as if Alice may have had family in that area.

I recognise some of witnesses as from prominent Witney Quaker families (Jeremiah Waring and John Flexney), but some seem to be more connected with the Charlbury area, in particular the Spendloves.

From A2A I have discovered that Birmingham City Archives have a Quaker marriage certificate for William Spendlove of Charlbury and Sarah Hughes of Witney, 1739 and one for William Squire of Witney and Hannah Clark of Charlbury, 1748 (both part of MS 1509, a collection of papers relating to the Albright family of Edgbaston), the emboldened names all being ones that appear in the list of witnesses.

Thank you for that, Grizel! There is a book about Oxfordshire clockmakers: I shall see what it says about William Green next time I'm at the library.

Next time I'm at the record office I shall also have a look at some of Witney Monthly Meeting records there.

3. Huncamunca

I missed out Eleanor Grove, who signed between Sarah 'Huges' and Arthur Brown.
    Sorry, Eleanor! :oops:

4. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

If it's not going off at a tangent, what was the legal position of Quaker marriages at that time (pre-Hardwicke)?

5. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Hi Peter, this may help.

http://www.
    midessexquakers.org.uk/history-marriage-birth-death.php

Huncamunca likes this.
  6. Huncamunca

Seeing that earlier of the two Quaker marriage certificates shown there has a blue revenue stamp in the top left-hand corner, I wonder if a stamp collector was responsible for cutting off that corner of the certificate I have?

http://www.
    onderdeloupe.nl/brievenbus/artikelen/embossings.html

Grizel likes this.
  7. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

That's a hobby I'd never heard of! But I agree it could well be the explanation for the missing corner.

8. Steve Bumstead

Steve Bumstead Well-Known Member

Hi Huncamunca

I've just found this thread online and joined up to add to it. One of my ancestors, John Flexney is, I believe, one of the witnesses who signed the certificate. I've just been researching the family and John married Alice's sister, Sarah at Witney in 1724 at a Quaker ceremony. Oxfordshire wills have just become available online at FMP and I have found the will of Richard, the father of Alice and Sarah as well as George (d 1761) their brother; the latter seems not to have had any children and he left the bulk of his estate to Alice's son. They lived at Cogges although had strong connections with the Wychwood family.

Since joining the site, the illustration of the certificate has disappeared and I cannot see it anymore. I assume the signatures are the originals - the listing of the marriage on Ancestry has an image but it is only of the register copy with a list of the witnessesnames written out

Steve

Huncamunca and Ma-dotcom like this.
  9. shipwrights

shipwrights New Member

A number of the names mentioned reoccur in Friends Historical Library (Dublin) among the Quaker families with origins in the Cotswold shires and the wool business. A Joseph Hanks/Hankes (Quaker) Merchant of Dublin, in his 1703 Will names his only daughter Jane, also his niece Mary who married John Chambers [Chalmers], of Inverury, Aberdeenshire, son of William and Jean Chambers nee Forbes. John was school master to the children of Robert Barclay, the Apologist, and would later to settle in Dublin. Mary,on her husbands death, with four children, married John Greer [see Burkes landed] and had further issue. Her Uncle Joseph was involved with Seaton and Hutchinson also from Aberdeen.

Huncamunca likes this.
  10. shipwrights

shipwrights New Member

The Friends Historical Library Dublin has the Hanks family originating in Broadwell, Stowe. Joseph used the name Hankes
    "Joseph Hanks, Dublin Merchant, Dated 12 Feb. 1702/3. Proved in Prerogative Court
    My friends Amos Strettle, Dublin, linen draper, and Samuel Baker, Dublin, chandler, executors. My brother Jeremiah Hanks, his daughter Mary Hanks; "my brother Jeremy's other children." My only daughter Jane. Legacies to Alexander Seaton, David Hutchinson, Elizabeth and Alice Burgis of Chester; Francis Russell my apprentice, Amos Stretle, junior, my other apprentice; Alice Sleigh my servant; John Archer; Samuel Baker's wife; Amos Stretle's wife. My friends Anthony Sharp, Dublin, clothier, and Abel Stretle, Dublin, merchant, overseers of will
    Witnesses: Thomas Ravencroft, Robert Large and Jno. Cutts. Inventory by Richard Holcroft, Dublin, silk dyer, 15 Feb. 1702. Appraised by William Houghton, Edward Williams, Thomas Wilcocks, Abel Strettle. Valuations of goods in the house, shop, warehouses and brewing house; furniture and household goods, groceries of all kinds (currants 6d. lb., french barley 3d., starch 2d. lb.), tobaccos (cut and various kinds, stript and unstript leaf, etc., leaf tobacco 12d. per lb.) writing papers, utensils, ("engine for flattening tobacco stalks £4"), plate. List of debts "supposed to be solvent" and "supposed to be insolvent." The executors' account includes payments "To water rent 10/-;" "to lamp mony 3/-;" " to hearth mony £1.8.0." [Anthony Sharp, also from Gloucestershire]

Huncamunca and Blackmogs like this.
  11. Huncamunca

Hello Steve

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply: I haven't been around on the forum much lately. It's always interesting to hear from people with Witney ancestors so thank you for making contact.
    Indeed, the certificate does have original signatures. I don't know where the image I posted has gone to, so here (I hope) is a new photo of the right-hand column of signatures from the bottom of the document. As you will see, John Flexney's signature is at the very end:

1729 Quaker mge cert detail.jpg

By coincidence I have just been looking at some old notes I made from a 1729 probate inventory at The National Archives, for John Flexney, yarn and wool dealer of Witney (ref. PROB 31/92, no. 289) and an accompanying probate account. There are some fascinating insights there into the woollen industry in Witney at the time. I did once have photographs of the original document but suspect they died with my old laptop.

Hope this helps

Jane

Steve Bumstead likes this.
  12. Steve Bumstead

Hi Jane

Nice to hear from you, and thanks for the image. The Flexney family have always been one of my special interests; my paternal grandmother was a Flexney and I have traced her line back to a John Flexney who married at Cogges in 1694. Beyond that it is pure guesswork as the registers are missing or patchy where his forebears seem to come from.

John's son, another John was a member of the Blanketmakers Company of Witney, where the family had moved c1700. Both were Quakers and John junr married Sarah Burson, the sister of the Alice in the certificate you featured. He is probably the John who witnessed Alice's marriage, though the Sarah could not be his wife as they married in 1723.

I've just obtained the will of Richard Burson, the girls' father, as I mentioned, and he leaves some property jointly to them after " his now wife's" demise. The Flexneys of my line stayed in Witney until c1860 when they moved to Bristol; most of them were blanket weavers. I lived in Witney myself in the 1970s when I commenced my study of my ancestors, and was amazed to find they hailed from the town.

I was also interested in the probate inventory you mention. This was a different John Flexney. He and his brother, Daniel were very prominent in the Quaker Monthly Meeting and I've transcribed both their wills for the OFHS wills project. They were very prosperous cloth merchants and I would be very interested in the inventory as it is not attached to the will itself on Ancestry, and it would be nice to add it to the transcript

Regards

Steve

13. Huncamunca

Hello Steve and sorry it has taken me such a long time to get back to you on this: I have been away from the forum for too long!

My aforementioned notes on John Flexney's probate inventory have gone AWOL at the moment, lost in a sea of other pieces of A4 paper. When they resurface I shall scan them for you. I hope to go to Kew again before long too, so can rephotograph the documents then.

A friend in Witney has Flexney ancestors. I have a vague idea that he even mentioned that his Flexneys were from Bristol. I don't remember any useful details such as names and dates, unfortunately. I will have to track my friend down and quiz him about his ancestors.

Steve Bumstead likes this.
  14. Steve Bumstead

Thanks for your interest Jane. The inventory would be welcome - whenever you find it! I've got a million and one things on the go at the moment, so there's certainly no hurry.

If your friend has Bristol Flexney ancestors, we're almost certainly related - it would be interesting to make contact one day. Of all my lines, the Flexneys are the ones I've had most success with when it comes to distant cousins - one of them is Stephen Gadd, the opera singer, who has a very helpful website (only available to invitees) and has done a great deal of research himself into the family

Steve

Huncamunca likes this.