1837 UK Poll Book / Electoral Register

Discussion in 'British Electoral Rolls' started by Philb-c, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Philb-c

Philb-c Well-Known Member

Looking at an 1837 UK Poll Book / Electoral Register, against the individuals name and town is "1", "2", "3" and occasionally "1,2" but no mention of the meaning(s).
    Any ideas ?

Is it possibly connected with to whom they can cast their vote ?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

A guess- years living at address??

3. Schnurrbart

Schnurrbart Active Member

You could try and see whether it's the type of elections in which they are entitled to vote (Local, General) and can be called upon for jury service.

4. Philb-c

Looking at a later year, I'm thinking that Schnurrbart has the answer as every single name is either 1, 2, 3 or (just) 1&2. :)

5. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

I've sometimes seen a similar kind of note in a poll book to show who people voted for. If that's what it is here, there should be a list of the candidates on the front or title page of the book, with numbers against them, and there might be an explanation at the top of the list of names as well.

6. Philb-c

As I say, I think Schnurrbart has the answer insomuch as the numbers relate to whom one 'could' (ie: was entitled to) vote for (not whom one actually voted for).
    Now that (I think) we have the answer, it's irrelevant to the search I was conducting ...... but it's nice to know these things :).

7. Philb-c

This all came about as I'm still digging into 3rd great grandfather Isaac Bailey (1787-1863) as I'm still not anywhere near convinced as to the accuracy of all his branches.
    I think I need to compile some sort of spreadsheet or mini tree to confirm or condemn everything surrounding him (I don't care which, so long as it's correct).

Daft Bat likes this.