1901 census column 17 query

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Ma-dotcom, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

While re-keying my lost data into Family Historian - well, I had to didn't I?- I followed on from 1891 with John Humphrey, RG12; Piece: 695; Folio: 43; Page: 5. Checking on his children for 1901, & found one boarding with a Lady who had been housekeeper in 1891, here: RG13; Piece: 760; Folio: 150; Page: 5

Some other names were intriguing so I attempted to find them elsewhere, - names hard to transcribe properly. They were of 5-6 yr old children from London also boarding with her in Kent. [where else would I be?] in checking next page of images I saw more markings in the end column-'I' also for others about the pages. Would these children have been fostered out of London for their health or similar?
    Seems one chap was an estate Auctioneer so the above isn't likely, rather out of towners as others are not of Kent,just found this so hope I haven't wasted your time & Forum space :oops:

p.s. worth while rehashing this families data as I found one Lad had died in 1910 so was able to stop trying to marry him off & worry about what surname he was then going by. His mother having married John when her lad was 8 yrs old, he too took her name by 1901 as was the name registered & Christened with. Father's first name given but no surnames. Even GRO doesn't admit the mother had a maiden name. :( -so easy to do.

Attached Files:

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Isn't that a number one for deaf mute......bit more nicely put.
    Perhaps there for schooling.

Sis likes this.
  3. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman. Rest in Peace.

I think I've worked it out. If you look at the entries in this census book from the beginning (only a few pages back from where your person is) then the marks are only against people not born in Kent. Presumably done for some statistical reason at the time.

Note, for example, Geo Smith on page 6 whose place of birth has been changed from Kent to London.

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  4. Ma-dotcom

I think Flook sussed it Sue as did I late in the piece, but you could be totally right about schooling, perhaps council appointed. I did try to trace them briefly, but had to desist.

Sis and Archie's Mum like this.
  5. Archie's Mum

Just had a squiz whilst having a break from 'Christmas Scrubbing'. Happy it's sorted.
    Hi Ho back to work I go....:(

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  6. Ma-dotcom

Why would you want to scrub Christmas Sue? it is not that bad & will soon be over. :p

Half Hour, Sis and Archie's Mum like this.
  7. Archie's Mum

Just making things sparkle for the rellies on Christmas Eve. Then Christmas Day him and I play hookie......:D
    Could you tell me where in post #1 to look on the census'. Ta!

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  8. Ma-dotcom

Last Column Sue '17'
    Column 17.JPG