1911 census address help please

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Daft Bat, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

William Henry THOMAS and his family may be found on the 1911 census as follows:

RG14, PN4829, RD71, SD2, ED17, SN306

The address appears to read Cricketfield Cottages, Ashford Road, Eastbourne. However, there is a word on the address line that I am unable to decipher, which is just before Cricketfield Cottages.

Can anyone help, please? :)

2. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman. Rest in Peace.

It's IQUIQUE that well known town in northern Chile (now you'll have to track down the connection !! :eek:).

http://en.
    wikipedia.org/wiki/Iquique

3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Oh, for goodness sake! :eek:

I read it as IQUIQUE but, as I had never heard of the word, it made no sense. Thanks for the link - goodness knows why the house was so named!

Thanks again. :)

Edited to add:
    The wiki article says "Originally a Peruvian city with a large Chilean population it was ceded to Chile as result of War of the Pacific (1879–1883)." Maybe the Thomas family had connections with that war and wanted to recognise the fact. :rolleyes: I have no idea, but as William's wife Eliza was the sister of my great grandfather, it is rather an offshoot to dig further. Maybe, one day.... ;)

Flook likes this.