1939 check on FMP please

Discussion in 'British Electoral Rolls' started by Ma-dotcom, Nov 19, 2022.

1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I am still plodding through Family files looking for & adding to names with no spouse or other family.
    I met up with one yesterday who did in fact marry in 1919 but went to Tocour in France [Belgium]? to do so.
    I have birth & bapt. of a son,1920 & electoral notes on family 1956-65 with extra female. Her death is registered in Dec. 2000 -Islington where the family seemed to have remained. Her birth 1 Dec. 1923.

I cannot findher birth, so perhaps her Mother visited family in France for the birth of her daughter?

1939 has Father Mother Son George F. & a blacked out line. If this is for the daughter, having died in 2000 the blackout should have been lifted.

I wonder if a kindly soul with FMP access would look on 1939 to see if her name is there.?

tna_r39_0265_0265c_004.jpg
    Fred C Weymouth 1939.JPG

His spouse is listed as L.S.- Lignorine being too hard to spell?
    Thank you to anyone with time to have a dekko here. The above all via Ancestry

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

No, it is still redacted.

An explanation from the National Archives:

The record of anyone born less than 100 years ago is closed unless they are known to have died.

If someone was born less than 100 years ago, and has died, their record may still be closed if their death was not notified and recorded in the register. Deaths that occurred outside the United Kingdom are unlikely to have been notified. These include the majority of Second World War deaths.

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

The National Archives goes on to say:

How can I open a record of an individual I know to be deceased?
    To open a record it must first be located and checked. If you are a Findmypast.co.uk subscriber and you have located a closed record, you can request a check of the record free of charge and if successful, the record will be made available via the online service. Please note, Findmypast will not search for records on your behalf – to request a check of a closed record you must locate the record yourself first. To have a record checked you will be required to provide proof of death, most commonly a death certificate. If you have proof of death but cannot identify a specific record, you can request a search of the 1939 Register for a fee using The National Archives Freedom of Information (FOI) request form.

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  4. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

There is an exact death date for her in the Wills and Probate

Death date 15 Dec 2001
    Probate date 12 Apr 2002
    Number 924212

From the 2002 electoral register (I know that she died in 2001 but the register still records their name until the new registration filters through) she is at 39, Windsor Road, London

The same address they were living at in 1939.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  5. Ma-dotcom

Thank you both. :) My first day without a 'hotty bottle' attached to my person. Feeling rather subdued, no downright tired.
    Rather than going to similar with Ancestry I will I think take it that the lass is who she appears to be & move along to another as yet unfound or proven relly.

Daft Bat and Chimp like this.
  6. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Dumb question time. If a record is redacted, how can I say it's a person who might be dead?

"We can't tell you what's in the record until you tell us what's in the record."
    o_O

Libby, Sis, Ma-dotcom and 1 other person like this.
  7. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

That was exactly the problem I had when I tried to get my mum's record opened up via FMP. I was interested to see what she was doing when she was 16. Guess I will have to wait until some time next year to find out, though I am sure she would have been with her parents, as were both her older brothers.

Sis, Ma-dotcom and GrannyBarb like this.
  8. Ma-dotcom

Imagine if you will, newish family showed up on 1939 so I looked into it to find any children. Mum, Dad Daughter & two redacted lines appeared. I clicked on the image & just as I did one redacted record became visible! So only one child left to identify.
    It had taken a while to find the Father & his siblings as most were born in India, one in Ireland.

I must go back to this tomorrow as I haven't finished doing their BMDs, cot time now. Perhaps tomorrow I'll go back & find another redaction :)

GrannyBarb, Daft Bat and Chimp like this.