1939 Quandary

Discussion in 'British Electoral Rolls' started by Ma-dotcom, Mar 13, 2022.

1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I did mean to just ask if anyone could suggest what this writing in red on opposite page was, possibly 'copied from...?'
    Red comment in 1939 Albert W Wall.GIF
    it was next to Albert W. Wallace [19 Oct. 1917] in 1939,he has 3 blackened lines below his name.
    tna_r39_0040_0040k_004.jpg
    While looking for his spouse I found who I suspected to be her b. 1923 & two dtrs b.1936 + 1938.
    However he actually married my suspected Rose Ellen in 1935 Lambeth which would make her about 12 at that time, but would answer why her name was redacted in 1939.

GRO Suggests her dtrs had her maiden name, & are both listed in London electoral registers, one inin 1963 Hopwood St. Southwark & the other in 1960.
    1938 Albert w. + Rose Ellen at 9 Clemence St. Tower Hamlets, Stepney
    Another Rose E. b. 1914 doesn't fit the story as she would have been of age in 1939.

Can anyone Help me to resolve my little quandary please?

2. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

There are two entries for Albert on FMP, the first (RG101/0040J/006/40) being crossed through with "see page 3 book 2" in red next to his entry. However on this entry there is only 1 redacted record after his name. The second record (RG101/0040K/004/37), as you state, shows him with 3 redacted records after his name and presumably the "Copied from ...." refers to the fact that his entry was copied from the other book - clear as mud???

1921 census shows Albert William WALLACE living at Camberwell.

Janet

Sis, Jellylegs and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. janetbooth

Further to the above, the 1939 Electoral Register of Bermondsey shows Albert William WALLACE living at 14 Balaclava Road with an Albert MUGFORD, Lilian Agnes MUGFORD & Sophia Ellen MUGFORD, so could these be the other 3 names on the 1939 Register??

Janet

Sis, Jellylegs and Ma-dotcom like this.
  4. Ma-dotcom

Quite possible Janet, thank you I did see that ..sorry, called away..
    1938 has An Albert William & Rose Ellen Wallace in Stepney 9 Clemence St. & Stepney is where her two girls were born.
    It seems I must go, thanks again Janet for your input from FMP- helpful also.

Sis likes this.
  5. janetbooth

There is a marriage on the GRO Index in the March qtr 1939 at Bermondsey reg district for an Albert W WALLACE & a Violet LEWIS. Could this be relevant??

Janet

6. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Not an answer to your queerie but a little more info.

His parents - Wesley Washington & Ruth Lilian Wallace nee Bottomley. Albert was baptised on 4th November 1917 less than a month after he was born, The address given was 2, Dorset Terrace, Downes Place, Camberwell.

His father was a Private in the Royal Field Artillery (Driver) at the time of his baptism.

It would appear that his father died in 1953. His mother went on to marry a further 2 times. first to James E Brown in 1955, then to Reginald H Plummer in 1964. Ruth died at 22, Wingate House, Bramford Road, Ipswich on 29th December 1984 aged 95

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    Ma-dotcom likes this.
  7. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

Something else to ponder ....

There is another couple on the 1939 Register that may fit better with the marriage in 1935.

They are Albert Wallace 11 Sep 1911 and Rose (E) Wallace 17 Dec 1913. Below are two redacted records. Birth date for Rose would be better for a 1935 marriage.

They are at 129 Manor Place, Southwark.

On FMP, when you click on the transcription, there is listed a Rose M CURTIS (Wallace), but with no other details, and I can't see it on the original. However, if you click the line of the transcription for Rose M CURTIS, then click "view original record", it takes you to the page where she is listed which gives a birth date of 12 Oct 36 - then a note in the far right column "see page .... (cannot see which page though). The address is the same though, 129 Manor Place.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  8. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

I wonder if someone has requested the record be opened? There is a death registration for a Rose Marie Curtis born 12 Oct 1936 in 1990, Lambeth registration district.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  9. Ma-dotcom

@Chimp , thank you for that. I had the parents info, Ruth nee Bottomley is direct family but I hadn't pursued her marriages, too busy adding family. :)

@Jellylegs, Thank you Annie. This is the one I first saw & for some 'lost' reason, I discounted her. She does fit the nice things better, her Mmn being Payne & iin 1935 Two Payne persons lived at Haddon House, Old Kent Rd, Southwark. Back one page was I thought- an Albert W Wallace. Cannot find that now.

However, Albert was born 9 Oct. 1917 & Baptised 114 Nov. Christ church Camberwell, so does not fit the above in #7. That may be what turned me away from that marriage.

Rose M. Wallace marrying John Curtis had taken my eye, but a Rose Wallace appeared with parents on 1960 Electoral reg'r . I'm beginning to think there may have been a squad too many same names / same times for this family.

Albert's death is listed as 1982 in Worthing, Sussex. I haven't travelled that far yet, still looking at in betweens.

My life wasn't meant to be easy, so said a past P. M. :D
    thanks every one for help thus far.
    Edit
    there is also a 1938 Recruitment entry for an Albert William Wallace "for the term of crisis.'' but no age given. 'Queens Royal West Surry.'

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    Chimp likes this.
  10. janetbooth

I have been trying to find your Albert William on Electoral Registers but so far the only entry I have found for him is the one I listed in post 3. However, the Albert William WALLACE who married Rose Ellen is living at 9 Clemence Street in the 1936/388 Electoral Registers of Stepney along with 5 members of a POWELL family. William's parents Wesley Washington & Ruth Lilian are also on the Electoral Registers of Bermondsey living at 29 Grange House from 1933 to 1939. Before that they are living in Camberwell. Not that this is much help tracing Albert William!!

Janet

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  11. Ma-dotcom

Thank you Janet,- lately every time I get to this forum , I'm called away. I'll have to go hush hush somehow. ;)
    I took notes later of ALbert William & Violet up to 1948 when they were in Lewisham.

Also I asked on Sussex F H Group if anyone could say what is available on a death cert in 1982. Silly really, I should have just aked here as I'm sure all counties had same info on certificates. I'd like to be sure it was worth while for info before ordering one though.....Anyone up for 1982 ish certificate info?

12. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Have a read of this. Scroll through until you find the bit on death certificates. Still the same information. :)

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  13. Ma-dotcom

Thank you Jan. I've found a probable son born to a Wallace & Lewis who in the 1960s maries in Worthing - twice-. He may have been informant for his Father's death. Am not yet having luck following Violet to Worthing nor her positive death. All day left to do that. :)

Daft Bat likes this.
  14. Ma-dotcom

Eureka! I've just found Albert's Burial in Durrington Cemetery, Findon Road, Worthing. BN14 0AA.
    No Date or age given
    • Section Number : 24
    • Row Number: 4
    • Grave number: 29
    • Date of Burial -11/01/1982

Now back to family doings at home for a while :D

janetbooth and Daft Bat like this.