1950 Electoral Rolls - help, please.

Discussion in 'British Electoral Rolls' started by The Artful Dodger, May 13, 2014.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

I have a chap who in 1947 was a Chartered Accountant.

He was married and presumably on good terms with his wife and 2 sons when he died 29 November 1950.

From the National Probate Calendar ir states his residence was Rede-place, Dormans-park, Surrey [where he died] and 22/24 Old Broad Street, London E.C.4 [which I presume was his business location].

From the Electoral Rolls of 1950:
    His wife is at Grosvenor Hotel, 101 Buckingham Palace Road
    and
    He is at #411, Collingwood House, Dolphin Square, London S.W.1.

All these places seem to be fairly 'well-to-do' locations after the family wasn't short of a 'bob or 2'.

Can I ask for an explanation of what these addresses could signify?

2. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

Any response without further information would be pure speculation.
    If, as today, electoral registers were completed as of October in the previous year your man might have moved in the interim, or he might have been visiting clients or family when he died. Alternatively the London addresses might have been where he stayed when up in town and he preferred to register to vote there. Or, or, or........
    BTW did you clock that Rede place had a modern replacement which was bought by Tom Cruise in 2006?

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  3. The Artful Dodger

I'll provide more information - if allowed by Admin.

As for the BTW - that is interesting and I wonder what the old place was like back in the 1950's? His widow may have died there in the 1st q. 1970 but I don't have her death cert.

4. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

As Dormans Park is run by a trust it is possible that they would have details of past residents. In 1939, the latest newspaper reference I can find to Rede Place, there was a farm there, advertising cattle for sale.

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  5. The Artful Dodger

This is one of those 'fishing trips' - don't know what I'm likely to catch on my line.

Ancestry has very few Electoral Rolls online and Surrey isn't one of them.

1945 - my man was an Elector at 22 Old Broad Street, London, E.C.2

1946 - eldest son, his wife and 2 children left for Mombasa, Kenya. Son was a Doctor. At the time of departure they lived in Taunton.

1947 - my man, his wife and youngest son [aged 24] left for a month in Canada. Manifests indicate residence as Rede Place, Dormans Park, E. Grinstead.

1950 - daughter-in-law and 2 sons arrive back in England. Can't find hubby on manifest. Intended residence was the same as when they left in 1946. This was on 2 September 1950.

1950 - my man dies on 29 November.

1951 - On 24 April eldest son, his wife and 2 sons head back to Mombasa.

Not sure how much of this is relevant but is all I've found so far.

6. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

You can read about Dolphin Square and some of the famous (and infamous) people who've lived there:

http://www.
    buildington.co.uk/buildings/london_sw1/grosvenor_road/dolphin_square/id/528

I believe many MPs have flats there these days. It has its own website: www.
    dolphinsquare.co.uk