1st Brick Wall

Discussion in 'Worcestershire' started by Steve, Jul 11, 2014.

1. dizzyme

dizzyme Well-Known Member

Steve,

I am only five minutes from Upton and not very far from Worcester. I could pop into 'The Hive' and see what records they have. Not sure of exactly when as it's the last week of school so lots going on :rolleyes:

Karen

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

I have checked departures from Tasmania in the period from 1854, so far can't find anything under that name or even close to it. I even checked 'Bullock' just in case he used that name. He has just disappeared.
    The records are not complete though, so that may have something to do with it.
    For the life of me I have no idea how he could have left the Colony with a life sentence and only a conditional pardon and made it to that ripe old age using his correct name. But there is no sign of an absolute pardon either.

3. Steve

Steve Member

That would be wonderful Karen thank you. I am looking at getting down there myself as soon as my shifts allow. If I manage to get there before you I'll post what I've found so as to save you the trouble.
    Thanks again

Steve

dizzyme likes this.
  4. Steve

Steve Member

I have managed to find a few things online at the Tasmanian Archives. Description list, conduct record, indent record. I've also got an entry from a Pardons & tickets of leave book stating William served 11 1/2 years of his sentence.
    I was under the impression that a conditional pardon would only allow him to live and work in Australia and not be allowed to return home. Conversations on other forums seem to think that by the mid 1850's there was beginning to be a little less interest in these restrictions and unless he came before the courts again or someone recognised his situation and reported him he would most likely be able to get away with it. Tracing what happened after he was pardoned is difficult as a trip down under isnt possible at least not at the moment.

5. dizzyme

Steve,

I'll aim for middle of next week. If you have specific questions just PM me.

Stafford likes this.
  6. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

MH 12 is a huge collection of correspondence between Boards of Guardians and the Poor Law Commissioners and their successors. For each Poor Law Union the papers are arranged chronologically, bound into volumes.

They eventually ended up with the Ministry of Health, hence the MH label.

Yes, you would need to go to Kew to see them. Records of a few Poor Law Unions for 1830s/1840s/1850s have been indexed and the results included in The National Archives' catalogue, but Upton-on-Severn isn't one of them. There's a list here:

http://www.
    balh.co.uk/lhn/article_file_lhn-vol1iss97-14.xml.html

The only Union I know of for which the MH 12 records themselves are online is Southwell in Nottinghamshire.

7. crazycatlady22

crazycatlady22 Well-Known Member

8. dizzyme

Ooophs.. not this coming week, the one after!

9. Steve

Steve Member

10. dizzyme

Hi Steve,

Spent several hours at 'The Hive' today, trying to look for records for Eliza and Joseph.

Found the baptism for Selina & Joseph Tippin on 01 Sept 1849. They were recorded as 'son of, daughter of Eliza'. No father is listed and a line through in the occupation column. Apologies didn't get a photocopy, as you need to take your library card (which is new) to obtain one but I can go back another time if you'd like one.

I checked the end of the Parish Records Baptisms, in case something was written there but no joy. Also, checked the Bishop Transcripts with no luck.

It appears that there are not a lot of surviving records for Upton Upon Severn. There are no Bastardy Bonds. I looked at the Worcestershire Index of Quarter Sessions from 1836 to Easter 1850 (when they end), which do name individuals that were subject to removal orders, thought her move to Upton may not have been voluntary but again no joy!

I searched a box of Parish Records but it mainly related to accts for the church and I couldn't see anything specific regarding parish relief. :mad:

A frustrating day to say the least! Apologies I couldn't find anything useful :oops:

Karen

Steve likes this.
  11. Steve

Steve Member

Hi Karen. No need to apologise, Im grateful that you took the time to try and find things out for me.

I obtained the baptism records last time I was there thank you. I can see by what you have managed to search through that I am going a lot of difficulty tracing Joseph's father :( So not sure where to go from here

I didnt find a marriage for Eliza and William neither, but as William isn't Joseph's father thats is on the back boiler atm.

Many thanks again for your time and effort today

Steve

dizzyme likes this.
  12. dizzyme

There's a real possibility Joseph may have not known who his father was :mad:

The only other route is the suggestions that Huncamunca has made....

Karen