A bit of a long shot

Discussion in 'Illegitimacy' started by annabel, Jul 30, 2019.

1. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

Through DNA I have reason to believe that my great great grandfather may have had a child with someone else when he was married to my great great grandmother. If I'm wrong then it was probably one of his siblings what dunnit.

If I'm right, how can I find out the name of the child? I don't know the name of the mother. I know that this is the reverse of the normal way of looking, how can I find anything that might have his name on?

Its Charles Watson of Shedfield, Droxford, Hants who I'm accusing, and the child would have been born about 1894 ish possibly in the Woking or Dover areas, although how he would have had time to go there is anyone's guess

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Couple of possible lines to investigate:

1) Did either he or a brother leave a will that might have mentioned the child?

2) Did the mother apply for Parish Relief? She would have had to have named the purported father. Hampshire Archives might help with that.

3) Parish registers - if the child was baptised, the Parish Clerk might have named the purported father in the margin.

Good luck! :)

Bay Horse, annabel and Half Hour like this.
  3. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

@annabel I also have some "cousins" I can't connect to my family. Another thing to consider is perhaps there was a sibling in the original family that you have never found. Don't forget that DNA is a little fickle. It depends on how much you inherit from someone in your family. I have 2 second cousins who I have personally met and they show as a 3rd and a 4th cousin in my DNA matches. One of their grand daughters is a closer match than the other 2nd cousin is!

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  4. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

Yes it is a tricky one. I am pretty certain I have the right set of siblings in my family to be the parent, because the other person shares matches with the family of my 3x g grandmother, but not my 2 x g grandmother. And the other family only appeared in the area from a certain time. But an unknown sibling is something I hadn't considered. I'll have to look into that

Half Hour and Ma-dotcom like this.
  5. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

If you wanted to follow through on children who may have been named as 'Watson'-
    June 1893 - Dec. 1896
    = 8 watson children born in Dover
    none in Woking
    GRO as above Dover = male =3
    Dover , female 1893-1896 = 6 Female

annabel likes this.