A Bowman, Queensland, mystery.

Discussion in 'Empire & Commonwealth' started by Philippa, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Here we go.
    Croxdale Research Station
    Lat.26's
    Long. 141'e
    If someone can find that then you are a better woman that I am.

2. hugh thompson

hugh thompson Active Member

Hi AM, that's the very northeastern corner of South Australia

Archie's Mum likes this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Croxdale Research Station is now the Outback College of Rural Education situated on Croxdale Station Road Charleville.
    Which takes me to cnr Hunter and Partridge Street Charleville with a wonderful street view. It is definitely a school of some description and seems very large.

4. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

That's the head office of the Outback College of Rural Education, AM. I wonder if they've adopted the name Croxdale to identify this particular educational facility and allow it to stand out from others?

It all gets really confusing. In 2006 Peter Beattie (Qld Premier) said:

"The historic Blueprint for the Bush strategy includes an innovative plan to develop the former Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries research station at Croxdale near Charleville into a facility to provide rural and life skills for urban school children."

I have just found Chapter 6 of a report on research carried out on 3 rural properties in Queensland, starting with selection of the properties in 1994. It's obviously a LONG report and I haven't yet found its title or the name of the author. HOWEVER it does say:

As a case study, I lead an exercise where the method was applied to the 5362 ha Department of Primary Industries research station "Croxdale" (26o27' South, 146o09' East) located 12 km from Charleville. The land system mapping for "Croxdale" was examined and representative locations within the various land systems sampled for tree and woody weed cover. The calculations to estimate a "safe" long-term grazing capacity for "Croxdale" were performed and discussed as a group.

And surprise, surprise, there is a new set of co-ordinates!!! Rushing off now to grab atlas and pinpoint the little beggar!!!

Fingers crossed, everyone!!!!

5. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Just to prevent my sweet mouthed self from sinking into obscenities, I'll just have to say "Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs".

Those co-ordinates quoted in the DPI report take you up near Charters Towers, and that's close enough to 1000km north of Charleville. :mad:

Having stopped and taken a couple of deep breaths, I tried a calm and sensible approach. I would suggest there's been a finger fumble in the report. I think the 20 degrees .... South should read 26 degrees ... South. That would take you almost exactly 12km west of Charleville, whose co-ordinates are 26 degrees 4 minutes South, 146 degrees 25 minutes East.

Now all I have to do is get the history of that particular property and see if I can find out who owned it in 1923.

I've been so busy co-ordinating that I've forgotten to feed my little black dog. :oops: She's been very patient but I think I'd better leave this for now and go and look after her. She's a rather special little person and it's not fair to make her wait much longer.

Back whenever I get half a chance.

:D

6. Archie's Mum

Lacevale was still around in 1936 according to a rain report in the Courier Mail 10 Feb 1936.
    The report mentions the rain measurements between Charleville and Morven with Lacevale receiving 217 points.
    Morven is some 57 miles east of Charleville. Sorry I only have miles on the old map!

7. Archie's Mum

Another sighting of Lacevale.
    Longreach Leader 28/11/1924
    Thomas Hurley a Mitchell Rabbit Board boundary rider picked up a bag of fencing tools at McGees 4 mile gate and rode to Lacevale where he put his hand in the bag and was bitten twice by a tiger snake.
    He was attended by a Dr Shanasy (not sure if that's the correct spelling)
    Now we just have to find the name of McGees property.

Sis likes this.
  8. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

There was another Lacevale if I remember correctly AM, just to add to the confusion. I think I grabbed hold of some articles in the newspaper and found they were way off as far as location was concerned. Hard to remember too much particularly as almost all the rural newspapers in Queensland seemed to cover items from all over.

You really are a lovely person to keep on with this you know. I do appreciate it so much.

AM.jpg

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  9. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

1925 Electoral rolls.
    Esther Bowman Lacevale, Charleville h,duties
    Bowman Francis Charleville, selector.

Philippa likes this.
  10. Archie's Mum

It was James McGhie and he worked for the Mitchell Rabbit Board residing at the 4-mile netting fence. Probably in a humpy!
    And I would like to thank you for finding another Lacevale :eek::D
    Do you think I can find where the 4- mile netting fence was. I bet the rabbits found it though.
    I'm a bit worn out now though but will have another go another day.
    Merry Christmas. Past my bed time.:rolleyes:

Philippa likes this.
  11. Ma-dotcom

1925+1930
    Esther Bowman Lacevale, Charleville h,duties
    Bowman Francis Charleville, selector.

1925 Thomas Angus Hurley -teamster-upper cooyar creek,crows nest D.downs

James Miller McGhie-4 mile rabbit Gate,boundary rider

1925.-David Edward Espie a grazier at Shellbourne, Maranoa, Charleyville 1919 a butcher
    1930 David Edward-Shellbourne- grazing farmer
    1937 David Edward Espie grazier + Roy Espie lab'r
    Croxdale

12. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Take it easy, AM, and just enjoy your Christmas. I probably won't be doing much more here until after 25th and rested eyes might just find that little bit more.

Thanks, Wendy. See the problem though? Only says Lacevale, Charleville - wish to goodness they'd been just a touch more specific re location!! Since Frank and Esther sold the property in 1924 I'm guessing they hadn't got round to changing addresses when this version of the electoral roll was published. The next one would hopefully read something like "Bronte", ..... Street, Charleville. (Momentary memory lapse, can't recall the street offhand).

I'm going to think things through a little more and see if I can dredge up the best possible contact to get the history of Croxdale to find out if it increased in size after Mr Espie bought Lacevale. That would almost certainly solve the mystery don't you think?

I'm heading off to bed now too. Bigger than usual day tomorrow preparing for Thursday. Much more so than usual as I'm stepping right out of my comfort zone and cooking Christmas breakfast for the 6 of our Canberra based family. Am determined to have as relaxed a day as possible so will do all the preparations tomorrow and hopefully only have to pop stuff in the oven on Thursday morning.

Wish me luck - it's been a year or three since I've done anything like this and I'm a touch nervous!!

Take care everyone and thank you for the interest you've shown and the help you've given. Nice people!!

():-)

13. Ma-dotcom

I so do Philippa, remember the feeling well of cooking for extras on a special occasion.-write down what you want to do & tick off things as they're done ;)

I'm about ready for cotside too.

Philippa likes this.
  14. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Here 'tis

http://
    trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/140232515?searchTerm=Lacevale&searchLimits=

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  15. Sis

Philippa below are some links that I saved for you a few days ago. Not sure if any will help, but always worth a try:)

trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/97159485?searchTerm=Lacevale&searchLimits=

trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/98103535? Mortlake

A book that may help: Claire Wagner, Frontier town: Charleville 1865-1901, Brisbane, Boolarong, 1991

trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/39310980?searchTerm=Lacevale&searchLimits

trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/98103535

trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/140232515?searchTerm=Lacevale&searchLimits=

http://espace.library.uq.edu.au/view/UQ:216975/AU4021_Foxs_History_Queensland_2c.pdf
    Page 548 onwards about Bowmans.

16. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Sis, that looks good. Unfortunately not feeling up to anything at the moment so will leave it all for another day - hopefully not too far away.

Have just finished my very small dinner and am about to hit the hay.

Thank you again for your help and the trouble you are taking. 'Tis awfully nice of you!!

Sis likes this.
  17. Sis

Not a problem, new that if I didn't post them while I thought of it I probably would forget about them:rolleyes:

18. Freya

Freya New Member

Hi
    The house "Bronte" is 183-185 Alfred Street, Charleville.

Have you considered that Lacevale could have been renamed as Rhondavale? Rhondavale is a single block adjoining Mortlake, which Francis Bowman also owned, and is 14.5km from Charleville.

Bay Horse, GrannyBarb and Ma-dotcom like this.
  19. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Hello Freya - welcome to the forum. :)

@Philippa has not been on the forum since last year but hopefully will come back and see this message.

20. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

Code:
    https://www.aif.adfa.edu.au/showPerson?pid=28843
    have you seen this item maybe someone here might have some info

realy must read and look at dates :rolleyes: