A Catholic Question

Discussion in 'Illegitimacy' started by Figgs, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Hmmm... question here because I am not Catholic and don't know the "rules". When Jose married Amelia in the RC Church, hubby's great-grandfather was 3 days old! He was deemed to be a child of the marriage!

When Jose married wife #2, her child was 5 years old and was NOT deemed as such! Time element??

I was friends with a lovely Jesuit priest/archivist from this church who sent me copies of all the family marriages and baptisms in the Jamaican RC records and should have asked him!! The 5 outside kids were baptized in the RC Church too. Different than the present day I think.

2. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

was wife no 1 still alive when the child was born maybe that would be a reason for not being considered a child of the marriage?

Figgs likes this.
  3. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

I assume it is because both parties were sworn/promised/contracted to marry at the time of the birth, i.e. engaged, thus the child was seen as a child of the marriage

Sandiep, Figgs and Daft Bat like this.
  4. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Just checked and no......Wife #1 (Amelia) died in 1850. Child of Anna Burke was born in 1855. Jose married Anna in 1860. Fr. Gerry sent me a copy of both marriages and all the baptisms of Jose Angel's children by the different women.

In the marriage for the first wife, it mentions that Theophilus is a 'child of the marriage'. In the second one it simply says.....'child born before matrimony' but says she is a witness to it. A 5 year old?? Oh, I said male in the previous post....It was a female, named Dolores Maria.

Fr. B. Fernandez performed the first one and a different priest did the second. Different priests......different outlooks?? At that time, there was a sudden arrival of many South American priests due to some problem in Colombia, I believe. Not that it matters, but I had to get some of the documentation translated as my Spanish is minimal.

Hope the above is clear......and thanks Sandie and Muggsie.

Sandiep likes this.