A Divorce in the 1970's

Discussion in 'Court Records' started by The Artful Dodger, Sep 5, 2014.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

I doubt that these records will be accessible on-line, however there may be records available somewhere - unless 'sealed'. Do I have to wait 50 or so years before such records could become available?

I have details of the marriages that occurred after the divorce - both were in the Register Office in Truro - and states "previous marriage dissolved'.

He remarried in 1976
    She remarried in 1986.

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

This Article:
    Divorce Case Files from 1858 to 1937 may be seen at The National Archives, Kew in department/code J77. For Decrees Absolute from 1858 to the present day, you will need to contact the Principal Registry of the Family Division, London.

You will not be able to see case files after 1937 but you should be able to obtain confirmation that a divorce took place from the Decree Absolute. Click here to find out how to do this. However... as the link says, "If you know the case number, a copy of a decree absolute or final order costs £10. If you don’t know the case number, the cost is £45."

So, rather expensive if you do not know the case number! :eek:

3. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Were such things mentioned in "Family/Legal Notices" or similar in newspapers of that time?

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  4. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

Now I have another one and if I read the forms correctly a search to detrmine the case file # will cost me 65 pounds and then a further 10 pounds for the decree.

Definitely a money pit - I think I'll assume they weren't bigamists after all:D

Joanne likes this.