A Puzzle

Discussion in 'U.K. Forces General' started by Lone Pine, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Lone Pine

Lone Pine Her Grandad would be so proud of her

One to puzzle over here I have a Great Uncle, Frederick Holland born 1892 Walthamstowe and have been sent a newspaper cutting which says that during WW1 he was employed in the Works Department of the Admiralty and then left there and went to the Works and Building Department of the Air Ministry.

I think there is more to this than meets the eye as during the 30s he actually met Hitler, he did not like him and did not want to shake his hand and deffo did not give the Salute and came home and told my Great Grandmother that there was going to be another war!!! What do you think it means by Works Department, this is my Mum's branch of the family. Also he travelled extensively between Germany and the USA between the two wars and was told not to ask him what he did in WW1 so did not lol.

Also been trawling the internet for an answer and it appears that another Great Uncle Arthur, was also employed at the Works Department of the Admiralty, although not 100% sure about Uncle Arthur. Any ideas anyone? Cause I have not got a clue

2. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

I think a Works Department is to do with buildings (building, designing, requisitioning) .. but I am not 100% sure of this :)

Lone Pine likes this.
  3. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

'Hush Hush' works department?

GrannyBarb likes this.
  4. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

if I found right Frederick in 1911 he was an Architects assistant which would tie in with mugsworthys answer

forgot to say Arthur was still at school then !!

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  5. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

There are some photos o him on Ancestry in Masons regalia....maybe the owner may know more

6. Lone Pine

Lone Pine Her Grandad would be so proud of her

Yes I know that is my second cousin Kim in Canada, which is Uncle Fred's Grandaughter, I have a copy of that pic :) She does not know either

7. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Mom's great uncle was in the (US) OSS during WWII. He was an anthropologist in Tunisia and assigned to the diplomatic corps. I wouldn't be surprised if your fellow was doing "hush hush" work at least some of the time. Speculation, of course.

8. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

Towards the end of WW1, General Smuts recognised the importance of air power and in 1918 the Air Ministry was formed, equal in status with the Army and Royal Navy. Your great uncle was possibly finding out on the QT information about what became the German Luftwaffe and reporting back to the British and American Governments.

9. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Perhaps working for Works departments and being an Architects Assistant were part of his cover, as I think GrannyBarb may have been thinking. Even today you hear of people attached to embassies with all sorts of job titles later to be known to be involved with various types of espionage.

Dave2425 likes this.
  10. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I wasn't being facetious with this comment, I agreed with M'Ms comment & was thinking of other various Gov't. works departments which still exist & cover a multitude of areas.
    Including tho' the possibilites of 'not for publication' doings which did go on in those times.

11. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

I didn't take your comment as being facetious Ma-dotcom.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  12. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

oooo! I just had a thought (says she who watches too many ancient conspiracy shows on the so-called educational tv channels) - What if - perhaps - maybe, Uncle was using his Masonic connection to move important artifacts (the Holy Grail???) from UK to US for safe keeping during the war!!! Nawww!

(Granny and her overactive imagination are leaving the room now :oops:).