A right conundrum

Discussion in 'Northumberland' started by gillyflower, May 19, 2022.

1. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

Hello I have come across a right problem - well a while ago but can't verify anything. Charles Twizell bap 7/3/ 1773 at Woodhorn, Northumberland. Married 23/12/ 1798 also at Woodhorn. Drowned in a fishing accident1801. off the coast of Newbiggin by the sea? I can't find anything to say yay or nay. There are trees on Ancestry with no sources for the death and I cant't find anything at all on other sites. Did he just drown and lay at the bottom of the sea? His wife remarried. I would love to know and so put this one to bed - so to speak. If anyone has any ideas? :headbang::(

2. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

There was a Charles Twizell who drowned off Newbiggen, along with 8 other fishermen in a gale - but it was in 1851 and reported in the Newcastle Courant on March 21st 1851. It says he had a wife and one child. Could this have been mistaken for the Charles Twizell born in 1773?
    Just found another article which says the above Charles was 28 years old, so it looks like somewhere along the line, the Charles Twizells have got muddled :rolleyes:

gillyflower and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

his grave is on Find a Grave says his son is William Charles and he died same year age 4 !
    Says he was born 1822 so definately not the Charles from 1773 could be a son?

4. gillyflower

AnnB - thank you for looking. No that is definitely not the Charles Twizell I am looking for. :( I have quite a lot of info on that fishing accident. Sandiep thanks too for looking Yes Both that Charles and his son died in 1851 I think Charles T was 30 years old. and his son was 4months.:(:headbang:

Ma-dotcom, Sandiep and AnnB like this.
  5. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

There is definitely a son William born 8 November 1799 and baptized at Newbiggin on 8 December 1799 son of Charles TWIZELL, Newbiggin, Fisher, by his wife Eliz ARMSTRONG of Crosswell. He does appear to be the only child for the couple. Possible burial record for this William at Woodhorn Chapelry on 31 July 1836, aged 36, of Newbiggin. However, I can find no record of a death for Charles, I'm afraid, which doesn't help you much at all.

Janet

6. gillyflower

Janet thank you for looking. Yes that was his son. It really is strange his wife remarried so there presumably was a death. Oh well back burner for now I think. :headbang:

janetbooth and Ma-dotcom like this.