A small thing ...

Discussion in 'Fantastic Finds' started by mugwortismy cat, Jul 11, 2015.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

My great-great grandparents were George Runyeard and Jane Garland

Practically since I began this I have searched for their marriage, it wasn't in Weymouth where I first found them, it wasn't in Winchester where their first child was born, it wasn't in Kingsdon where (I eventually worked out that) she was born, or in Cranborne where (I had some help working out that) he was born ... it wasn't anywhere else in Dorset, Somerset, or Hampshire either ... nor anywhere else that I could find

I found out Jane's maiden name by purchasing my great grandmother's birth certificate and left it at that

Tonight being unable to sleep again I just checked my emails, and idly opened a 'You have hints' message from Ancestry

My second hint was for George Runyeard in the Dorset, Marriages and Banns ... I expected nothing ... I clicked on it anyway ...

Ok, it's banns and not an actual marriage, and I think it is significant that the entry is not crossed through like most of the others on the pages shown (there is one other left uncrossed and this one only had the first call of banns and then was annotated 'not to be called') -- there is no annotation next to George and Jane, but I am assuming that they simply did not turn up

Oh yes, and it was in Sherborne, a totally different area of Dorset than I had reason to look for them ...

it's a small thing and maybe not really a fantastic find, but it has made me happy :D :p ... all I have to do now is identify a birth registration for George ...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
    Joanne, busyglen, Bonzo Dog and 14 others like this.
  2. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Any find big or small is good!

3. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Opening up a broader search area :)

4. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Even a small find can be fantastic! Congratulations! :D

5. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Well done Muggy, at least they haven't disappeared into one of your Bermuda Triangles ;)

Ann

6. Bookworm

Bookworm Now in the arms of the Angels

Well done !

Ma-dotcom and mugwortismy cat like this.
  7. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Neil Armstrong knew all about small steps, Mugs, and how right he was. Every little snippet that's uncovered can (should!!!!!) lead to another, then another - and suddenly hey presto!! Far be it for me to suggest there can be years between steps, but......... ;)

Frivol and twaddle aside, how fantastic for you and well done. Now we'll wait for news of the next little find.

8(:-)

(Anybody know how to go about contacting small finds fairy? Could do with a direct line here. :oops:)

8. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Don't you just hate when that happens, banns read - then..nothing or a ministers note that they didn't turn up or something else was amiss.?
    Had two so far. more than enough for my liking.

9. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

Well done. Big or small it all helps :)

10. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

Woo hoo, even the small finds are exciting:)

11. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

One of my ancestors did something of what seems a similar nature to that. Thomas Eve and his intended Martha Green were granted a licence to marry within a fortnight of 1 April 1740 at St Mary the Virgin in High Easter Essex, on a bond of 200 pounds sterling.

If the Parish Marriage Register is to be believed it didn't happen, yet Thomas and Martha raised 10 children in High Easter. Either someone omitted to recording the marriage in the High Ester PRs or they must have married elsewhere. High Easter wasn't a place where they could get lost in without being noticed and "live in sin" as I suppose it would have been described then, nor would they have been able to afford forfeiting the 200 pound bond to the church.

An Eve co-researcher (in the Netherlands) and myself researched our Eve line in the areas of the Easters, Rodings, Dunmows, Walthams, Pleshey, Roxwell, Thaxted and a heap of other places, we found loads of Eves but never come across the marriage.

I live in hope that one day, purely by accident, I'll come across the marriage, whenever I research an Essex place I always check marriages around 1740, just in case. I have a gut feeling they did marry in High Easter but it missed being recorded.

mugwortismy cat and Ma-dotcom like this.