A wonderful gift from a cousin.

Discussion in 'Fantastic Finds' started by Philippa, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Today my cousin sent me this scan of a photo that she'd found amongst her mother's belongings, it was behind another framed photo.

She said she remembers it from her childhood and thought it had been lost in one of their many moves.

Her mother (my mum's sister) had told her years ago it was our grand-mother and looking at it we both think she was about 10-11 years old. She was born in 1876. Do you think our estimate is close to the truth?

It would have been taken by one of the travelling photographers who visited from time to time. Cousin said there is nothing written on the back - I must ask if there's an imprint of any kind.

I have only ever seen photos of my grandmother as an adult and never ever expected to receive such a wonderful gift.

ma_10.jpg

I am absolutely dumbfounded and feel all my birthdays have come at once.

(Happy dance!!)

arryboy, Bay Horse, dizzyme and 17 others like this.
  2. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

What a great gift Philippa, you sound over the moon and rightly so :)

busyglen and Philippa like this.
  3. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Don't you just love old photos - brilliant Philippa :)

Ann

busyglen and Philippa like this.
  4. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Aren't you just the lucky one! 8(:-)
    Now for an age guestimate! Having dabbled a bit in the finer art of trying to paint, I can remember the rules for proportion.
    An adult is around 7.5-8 times the size of the head.
    In a child of 10-15 the body reaches 6-7 heads in height, so I am guessing about 11-12. My granddaughter is 10 in January and she seems older than her.
    She is very lovely. Irish?

arryboy, Bay Horse, busyglen and 2 others like this.
  5. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

How wonderful for you Philippa:D

Philippa likes this.
  6. Sis

Sure do.

Philippa likes this.
  7. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Lucky just fails to hit the mark here, AM. I don't know what words I'd use but none I can think of are adequate!! Chuffed and all of those things, tickled pink, over the moon - you get the picture!!!

There were two things which made us think 10-11 rather than 11-12 and one was the lack of "development" (or obvious development). The other was that kids seemed to have grown up quicker then than they do now which might explain the more mature face? I don't know, they were just a couple of points we discussed.

Irish? Guess the short answer would have to be "yes - pretty much!!" Her maternal grandmother was Irish/English but everyone else was definitely Irish.

And yes, I thought she was lovely too, but then I'm rather prejudiced I have to admit!! ;)

Bay Horse, dizzyme, Joanne and 4 others like this.
  8. Sis

I am impressed AM!

9. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Your Cousin deserves a huge hug. Your G'Mother has obviously meant you to see her as a child, what lovely connections to later Family.
    Dance on Philippa, certainly a touch of the Irish in her photo.
    Romantism maybe.

Bay Horse, Philippa, busyglen and 2 others like this.
  10. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

I know just how you feel! I had a similar experience when my cousin sent me a photo of my grandparents on their wedding day.

11. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

8(:-)What a wonderful find and an even more wonderful that you know who it is and when, no wonder you are doing a happy dance (and will be for days hence, no doubt).(+)(^^)(+)

For what it is worth I too think that she is around 10 years old - any clues to the date in the style of her clothes?

Philippa, Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  12. Bookworm

Bookworm Now in the arms of the Angels

What a lovely photo of your grandmother Philippa.
    Chuffed to bits, tickled pink, lucky - you deserve to feel all these emotions and more! I would be over the moon too.
    Just be careful if and when you do the Irish jig :rolleyes:

13. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

How wonderful, Philippa, you must be ecstatic, cock - a -hoop, walking on air, what a treasure for you to keep and pass down to your family.

Philippa likes this.
  14. busyglen

busyglen Well-Known Member

Wow! How wonderful Philippa! I can see you smiling from here! :)

Philippa likes this.
  15. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

So happy for you, Philippa! She's very lovely. :)

Philippa likes this.
  16. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

What good fortune Philippa.

It does make one wonder what other photos we would like are lurking out there somewhere.

All I have of grandparent photos and those of other generations are in my Media, a pathetic few. Not sure if there are more "out there" but if so no-one's saying, I have suspicions. The photo of my great grandmother Eliza Searles nee Smith didn't come from anyone in my close families, a Searles related distant cousin supplied that one.

Ma-dotcom and Philippa like this.
  17. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Never give up hope, Findem, or others longing to find photos of ancestors.

I had a truly lucky find a few years ago; I was randomly entering names of my ancestors into Ancestry's public family trees..............AND.......wow! wow! wow! I hit on a tree which had photos of my paternal grandparents in their youth, and as an added bonus there was also pics of my great grandmother and her daughters. As Philippa conveyed, it isn't possible to describe the thrill.

I immediately contacted the tree owner to ask his permission to copy the photos. He was a lovely guy; thanked me for asking as he said other folk had copied without so much as a thank you. He sent me copies via email which were more clear than the copies I'd have got from his Ancestry tree. I cannot describe how grateful I was. I recognised my grandparents even though the photos were taken many years before I was born, but my great grandmother and her daughters were new faces to me, it was so exciting to put faces to their names.

Bay Horse, dizzyme, Bookworm and 6 others like this.
  18. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

I wouldn't have had the pictures of my maternal grandparents that are in my Media if it hadn't been for the quick thinking of my sister. When the last sibling, my mother's sister died, who was living in the Card family home my mother and my sister arrived at the home to find my only cousin and her husband on the maternal side in attendance. To cut a long story short they managed to curb the looting somewhat. In a Wardrobe my sister spotted the the two pastel portraits of our grandparents and grabbed them for my mother, she then got one of her sons to photograph them for me.

When the aunt's husband died and the house was to be sold, once again cousin and her husband were quick off the mark, my mother did demand and got some items which had been promised to my sister but what else that pair nicked we'll never know.

To add "insult to injury" when my cousin died everything then went to her late husband's brother and sister, all my sister received from that pair was a poxy table lamp, which, had it been offered to me I would have told them to shove it where the sun doesn't shine. :)

Bay Horse, Philippa, Mealymoo and 3 others like this.
  19. Sis

To keep a long story short, similar happened when my OH's Dad died. But OH had already be given by his Dad two pastel portraits grandparents in the most beautiful frames. Other than having them OH got nothin'!!!! But he does have hiss memories:)

Philippa, Bay Horse, dizzyme and 3 others like this.
  20. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Isn't it sad that sometimes those who are left can't even share photos of folk who belong not to just one person but usually to many, who all have the same gene lines & wonderings about early Family members.

Philippa, Bay Horse, Findem and 3 others like this.