Abraham Bunting

Discussion in 'Lancashire' started by bettyespana, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Also, if Thomas' father died when he was a very young child, he may not have remembered his real dad's name, then if Mum married again-[enter Sue & the stepdad] possibly even the cleric got it wrong if he'd had a busy day.
    He may have moved with his family at an age too young to be aware.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  2. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

This always comes to mind when a father's name is in doubt. My Great Grandfather was bought up by his grandparents and at his marriage he put his grandfathers name as his father. He was illegitimate and either didn't know his father's name or maybe chose to think of his grandfather as his father as well. Just a thought.

Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

The more things change, the more they stay the same......sorry. Off the piste.

wendymac, Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  4. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Grizel, I too looked at the family with Hallas as the mmn. I also looked to see if Hillis could have been Willis, but no births Bunting mmn Willis in the right area. I would love to see the name of the father on the twins b/c.

5. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

Hmmm so they married in a Catholic Chapel. Which of them was the catholic or were they both?

MollyMay likes this.
  6. bettyespana

bettyespana Member

Sorry everyone for not getting back to you.I have just been looking at the marriage cert which is a really bad copy.
    At the time of marriage both Thomas age 20 & Margaret age 18 had marked with a X.I have also found at that Abraham Bunting was not marked as deceased.
    The witnesses look to be a Roger ? Connor & Mary Moran.
    The brides father is Peter Connor (labourer)
    The bride herself was a frame tenter.
    Place of residence is down as 15 Mulberry St Manchester
    That is also where the Catholic Chapel is.
    Both my hubby & I visited this Chapel it is a very small street & all the buildings are commercial.None of which look like dwellings.

In the 1861C it looks as if Margaret(17) is boarder @ Lloyd St, Hulme,Manchester living with William Dodd & family.

When their son William Thomas Bunting (hubbys Grandad)married it was in a CofE Church.
    I must also say that my husbands family are all C of E.

Hope this helps.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  7. bettyespana

bettyespana Member

Something else I have come across.

William Thomas Bunting(theirson) had 10 children.One of the sons was named Aubrey (could this also have been the name of Thomas' father).I do know it did pass down another generation from this one.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  8. Blackmogs

I cant find your Margaret in the 1861, could you give us the census reference? Was she born in Ireland? It is possible that her side of the family were Catholics.

9. MollyMay

RG09/2897/40/19
    and yes pob Ireland

10. Blackmogs

11. bettyespana

bettyespana Member

As far as I can say,yes Margaret was Irish.Apparently she moved to Salford after she was widowed.My hubbys Gran was her d in law & they lived just around the corner from her.
    Margarets 2nd marriage was to Robert Dougherty who I believe was from 1sle of Man.

12. MollyMay

Looking at Mulberry Street in 1861 (30 houses).
    Several families lived at no 15
    Robert and Margaret Wilson and 2 adult daughters
    Elizabeth Burkett - lodger
    Benjamin and Ann Lea and their baby son
    William Heblay and Mary Maguire both visitiors

No Buntings or Connors living in the street

RG09/2682/120 pages 67 & 68

Whoops forget this, this is Mulberry Street - Liverpool:oops: not Manchester

Blackmogs likes this.
  13. bettyespana

bettyespana Member

Ha ha MollyMay you got me going then because having been to Mulberry St M/C as stated previously I can't for the life of me see where there were any houses.

14. MollyMay

I have now found the Manchester one
    Living at 15 was the Shaw family - RG09/2898/47/33
    Joseph and Louisa and 5 children

I have found up to number 43 odd numbers and 30 evens, so the road must have changed since the 1860's

15. Blackmogs

If the Buntings were catholic, there will be no Anglican baptism records (she said stating the obvious) - I know that doesn't explain the singular lack of census findings for them but it might explain why Abraham is hard to winkle out from other records. I am not sure what would need to happen for Thomas to marry in a catholic chapel if the bride was catholic and he wasn't. He might need to convert if he wasn't already a catholic. I can't help feeling that is a line that could be pursued. I see that this thorny issue has been investigated on other fora without success! Maybe you could could order that 'stificate for the twins and get it delivered to a UK address, this seems like the only possible option as at least it would rule them out.

MollyMay likes this.
  16. bettyespana

bettyespana Member

Lincoln Square is adjacent to Mulberry St but no part of it is actually on Mulberry St.

17. Elsiesgirl

Elsiesgirl Well-Known Member

I agree that if Thomas was illegitimate he may give the wrong name for his father on the marriage cert. This has happened on my family tree. We had a brick wall with one of my 2 x gt grandfathers. His name was John Wiltshire and stated his father's name was Simeon Wiltshire but we could not find a birth for him or any trace of his father. He was born in 1823 so there would only be parish records. In the end I sent for a CD of the original parish records for the village of his birth. I still had difficulty finding him but persevered. His father was named as Simeon Wilmott and mother as Ann Wiltshire and he was illegitimate. Simeon went on to marry another girl within a year of John's birth and Ann eventually married someone else.

18. bettyespana

bettyespana Member

If I decide to do that I won't be ordering it online as I don,t pay anything that way.I am in the UK at end of May & if I have time I may decide to get the cert.

19. Blackmogs

That sounds like a plan :) i had no idea spanish post was so poor - commiserations. Other members may have bright ideas but I reckon it is worth a punt if only because there don't seem to be many other ootions. :(

20. bettyespana

bettyespana Member

Well to be quite honest if I send anything to Uk it only takes3 days & arrives with no problem.Coming the other way is another story.I have been here almost14 years & has not improved.:rolleyes: