Ackerman family from Dorset

Discussion in 'Dorset' started by The Artful Dodger, Jun 3, 2014.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

Robert born 21 Apr 1782 Netherbury, bap. 10 May

I have failed to follow through on any of Lydia's children so that is all I can tell you right now; I will have a look at trying to confirm what you have told me ... ;)

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  2. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

Thank you - if I am overwhelming you please tell me so - I won't be offended.{-(^^)-}

3. mugwortismy cat

Not overwhelmed Colin, but I am tired and my browser is playing up.

The information on John Way looks plausible but there was another John born in Netherbury 1777.

I think I'd best have a look tomorrow, after a good rest :)

4. The Artful Dodger

Sleep well!!!

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  5. mugwortismy cat

that should be 1771, son of a John & Sarah -- he is possibly the John son of John & Sarah who was buried in Askerswell in 1784 (no age is given) -- Askerswell is about 8/9 miles away and I can't see a corresponding baptism there ...

but there are so many John WAYs that my head is spinning -- without doing a more in-depth study of the Way families in the area I'm currently not prepared to commit myself

though as I said before it does seem plausible o_O

6. The Artful Dodger

For what it is worth I think we can discount the above.

A john Way married Sarah Palmer in Askerswell 28 May 1769. Amongst the children baptised by John and Sarah in Askerswell was a John Way 14 February 1775 and another John Way 23 December 1784.

These events fit convincingly in my opinion to the burial of a John Way 26 August 1784.

7. The Artful Dodger

I am not happy with the marriage of John to Jane Paul in 1824. To my way of thinking it is a red herring and can be discounted based upon the 1861 census - RG9/1364/130/6.

8. mugwortismy cat

Colin,

sorry I wasn't up to much yesterday evening o_O and have only just waved goodbye to visitors so I have done nothing more and am quite worn out ! and I am still wary of taking on the Way family ... there seem to be so many of them and they are all over the place!!

I have found baptisms for John Way born Netherbury in 1768, 1771, and our John born 1780

In the census':
    there is the John Way born c1799 Netherbury with wife Jane (1861 census that you pointed out)
    there's a John Way born c1794 Netherbury living in Beaminster with wife Hester in 1851 [HO107/1860/371/4]

None of this really fits together at all [I can't find baptisms for a John Way in Netherbury in the 1790s], and it certainly doesn't fit with what you were told about our John as it doesn't look as though those two marriages were the same John

However, I haven't found these couples in other censuses (have only had a half-hearted rummage), and I haven't looked for other John/Hester or John/Jane marriages other than the two you have mentioned.

If you don't mind I don't think I have my research head on today -- I will try and have another go tomorrow

9. The Artful Dodger

Don't worry about it - this is my problem and exacerbated by my relationship with descendants of Ellen or her siblings - who you have probably never heard of.

10. mugwortismy cat

I have had a quick look at Ancestry trees suggesting that our John married an Ann [maiden name unknown] and had the following children:

Sarah & Thomas in 1803, and Ann in 1808 (some trees only have the twins)

None have any sources; the most comprehensive would seem to be "My Tree" by Trez142, which has death dates for the children, though nobody has a death for John; still it may be worth taking a look if you are so inclined ;)

FamilySearch does not show any John Way/Ann marriages in Dorset between 1800-1803; (there is one in Wimborne to Ann Soper but in 1796 [which seems wrong in many ways]); I also looked in Somerset, the only likely marriage I found is to Ann Hitchcock in 1801 in Hemington, about 45 miles away

It seems Ann was born in 1805 not 1808, bapt 1 Sep 1805 Netherbury; Thomas & Sarah 16 Jan 1803

11. The Artful Dodger

Found the baptisms of the the twins and Ann in Netherbury so it definitely looks like he had a spouse between 1800 and 1805 - but did she die? The distance that you mention for the 1801 marriage in Somerset seems a little difficult to perceive unless John was working there and then returned to Netherbury with Ann

There appears to have a marriage in Bridport between a John Way and Ann Lovlace 29 July 1810 and between 1811 and 1820 they baptised 5 children. They married after Banns and there is no indication of John's marital status - so could this be the same Ann who bore him the 3 in Netherbury but for some reason didn't marry until 1810?

Am I off-base?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  12. The Artful Dodger

Have just located a death and burial for an Ann Way in Netherbury 12 March 1809. Here age is indicated as 80 but could this be a transcription error and s/b 30?

Source - England, Select Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991
    FHL Film Number - 1239215

13. The Artful Dodger

Could this be the Ann that he married in Somerset? If there is a transcription error and her age should be 30 then this fits to the age of John who would have been 29 in March 1809.

I have also found a death of a John Way in Bridport - burial 19 December 1810. Could this man be the father of John jr. and Widower of Lydia who died - burial 29 May 1795?

The marriage in Bridport to Ann Lovelace - 29 July 1810 - looks possible, particularly if she was either a housekeeper or nurse for John sr. and looking after the 3 children of John jr. while he was working.

Just allowing my thoughts to run wild.

14. mugwortismy cat

Colin

I really don't know :confused:
    It is possible that Ann was in service in Netherbury and they travelled to her home in Somerset to get married before going back to Netherbury o_O
    I'm sorry but I don't have the energy right now to go through the Netherbury parish registers, which might be the only way to make sense of this.

It might be worth contacting the OPC for Netherbury (Geraldine Gasparelli), who has transcripts of the registers but hasn't put them online, try www. opcdorset.com
    She has been very helpful to me in the past. It's just a matter of asking a question that doesn't expect too much work from her.

15. mugwortismy cat

the image is available in the Dorset Parish Registers on Ancestry, she was definitely 80. Sorry :(

16. The Artful Dodger

Oh - phooey - another idea 'up in smoke'

17. mugwortismy cat

I still think that the Ways are too numerous and nearly all called John, this is going to take serious work to untangle -- I may get the urge one day, but not yet ;)

See what Geraldine has to say, she may also know of someone who has/is untangling the Netherbury Ways and can offer opinions/guidance

There's just too much guessing at the moment to make me feel comfortable drawing any kind of conclusion :(

If only the parish registers were more detailed in this time period ...:rolleyes:

18. The Artful Dodger

Have attempted contact with Geraldine 20 minutes ago.

Have had dealings with some other OPC's on this subject a couple of years ago and got nowhere - but I live in hope!!

19. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

I've had quite a few dealings from various county OPCs when researching my wife's tree and not once had a knock back, so you're in with a chance.

20. The Artful Dodger

Have just received a reply - and it looks like she has the means to assist. I will continue to update as we progress.