Adultery in Bolton

Discussion in 'Illegitimacy' started by Barley, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Barley

Barley Active Member

I was reading the records of St Benedict RC, Hindley, Lancashire, yesterday, and came across two disapproving baptism records for children "born in adultery". I list them here because they make you wonder about the bigger story, and also in case descendants of either of those children pick up this message as a clue. I stopped reading the baptisms at the end of 1795, so no idea if the story continued.

"John Chadwick son of Elizabeth Dennet whose maiden name was Pickerbounce who after living 12 years or thereabouts with her lawful husband Isaac Dennet, left him to live with John Chadwick by whom she had the above child, who was born in adultery and brought to me from Bolton, being a year and quarter old or thereabouts and was baptised by me April 7th 1794. James Grundy and Helen Higham were sponsors. [Signed] A Ryding."

"Mary Dennet born in adultery, dr of Betty Dennet. Dennet is the name of her lawful husband (her maiden name is Pickerbanks) whom she left for John Chadwick and has now lived with him in a state of adultery for 1 or 2 years. Was brought hither from Bolton to be baptised much against my will. She was born 6th July and baptised September 28th 1794 being then 12 weeks old. The godfather was John Swift. [Signed] A Ryding. "

Half Hour, Sandiep, Daft Bat and 3 others like this.
  2. Brentor boy

Brentor boy Well-Known Member

Family Search.
    Marriage. Isaac Dennet/Elizabeth Pickavance. 2 October 1778. Windle, Lancashire.

Baptism. Elizabeth Pickavance. Born 27 August, baptised 29 September 1752. Windle, Lancs. D/o Henry Pickavance.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Lancashire OPC has 3 more, 1791, 1796, 1801. I cant read the original register so have no idea of any comments made.

4. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Saves getting prosecuted for bigamy. ;)

Bay Horse likes this.
  5. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

You don’t leave a happy marriage, maybe Isaac deserved to be deserted. Hope you found happiness Elizabeth. {-(^^)-}

6. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Or maybe Elizabeth was at fault. We will never know.:rolleyes:

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  7. Auburn

Auburn Well-Known Member

Is it me but does adultery in Bolton sound a bit unglamorous?

Chimp and kernowmaid like this.