Affiliation order : William Webster and Elizabeth Goodfellow

Discussion in 'Illegitimacy' started by Stafford, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Stafford

Stafford Well-Known Member

I'm really rather cross with myself. I have a note regarding an affiliation order dated 14 July 1868 naming William Webster as the father of Elizabeth Goodfellow's child. I failed to record the source :mad: and cannot remember where I found it or any help I may have received to find it.:( Searching hasn't helped.

I've attached it to Charles Webster Goodfellow born in Bury St Edmunds on the 9th September 1870 to Elizabeth Goodfellow. Looking at the dates I doubt the affiliation order applied to Charles. I'm wondering whether William Webster was Charles's father and the father of a stray in my tree - Henry H. Goodfellow. Henry lived with several relatives, always described as nephew. Henry was born in 1869 in Bury St Edmunds.

According to the affiliation order William was a railway worker.

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Given the year of birth for Henry, it certainly looks like a possible..... unless, of course, a father is named on his birth certificate.... o_O

Stafford and Bay Horse like this.
  3. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Could it have been from the Bury and Norwich Post for the 14th July 1868? In the Borough Petty Sessions for July 9th -
    Affiliation.— William Webster, a railway porter, was summoned by Elizabeth Goodfellow, who alleged that he was the father of her illegitimate child.

Ann

4. Stafford

Stafford Well-Known Member

I agree. It does appear Elizabeth had 2 children to William. Examining the note I made ( back in 2013) has helped isolate Henry's birth to June 1868.
    Of course! Thank you Ann, I had a subscription at the time of making the note, I'd forgotten:oops: Must be more careful in the future.

AnnB likes this.