Agnes McDougall (nee Smith) died Laurieston/Falkirk .......?

Discussion in 'Stirlingshire' started by Philippa, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

I have spent the greater part of today trying to fathom how to search for individuals on various Scottish Records sites. I am now in a total lather of confusion so am calling for help. I have found plenty of "guides" but no actual name search capabilities. :(

Agnes Smith, aged 18, married Malcolm McDougall at the United Presbyterian Church, Fenwick Road, Kilmaurs, on 29 March 1895. Quick mental arithmetic would infer her birth year was 1877.

Her parents were David Smith (coalminer) and Margaret, nee McQueen.

Agnes was my husband's maternal grandmother. Her last and 7th child (William) was born in July 1913 and she had died before my husband was born in 1940.

When? Bill's mother said that Agnes had died "young" but of course thems were the days pre-genealogy obsession and I never asked for further information.

I have the family from the 1911 census of Scotland but of course have no address recorded (why would I, it's only a necessary piece of information) but in 1940 they were living in Boyd Street, Laurieston.

I don't have any access to subscription sites and for that I'm sorry, but if there's anyone around who can access Scottish records without incurring extra expense who could find out when Agnes died I'd be most grateful.

(While Bill is definitely NOT interested in genealogy he's been beaten into submission and agreed to write up some family stuff for our grand-daughter so if I can add to his knowledge in any way it's a massive bonus).

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  2. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Phillipa on Scotland's People there is a death of an Agnes McDougall in 1940 age 63 in Falkirk.
    I have some credits, which I really have no use for would you like me to investigate further?

Grizel, Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Hi MollyMay and thank you!! The age and place fit, don't they? If you really have no use for the credits, a bit of further digging would be great. The only reservation I have is Bill's mother's statement that Agnes died young and that she had been reading in bed when it happened so I'm guessing a heart attack. Would 63 be young? I guess it depends, doesn't it? To me now, yes, because I'm looking back, and I guess even a daughter talking about her mother.........

Is the information from Scotland's People on an index only or can you see anything more definitive without "wasting" credits? If you used the credits what more would you expect to see? I have absolutely no experience with Scottish death certificates so really can't judge.

I'm honestly of two minds about asking you to do this. Ultimately I guess there's no alternative is there, and at least if it's not correct it would eliminate that one record. I don't know............ :oops:

Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  4. MollyMay

It is her:)

I will send you a pm

Philippa, Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  5. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

6. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Have PM'd you.

Philippa likes this.
  7. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Thanks, Sis and Sue. I have seen the PMs and will get back to you shortly. Did a bit of a hide behind the sleep cloud over the weekend because I'd had to take the bull by the horns and drive again after I did a good job of driving my car through a supermarket door earlier in the week. Foot slipped off the brake onto the accelerator and as they say, the rest is history.

Yes I know, this is WAY off topic, but hopefully I'll be forgiven this time as it's the reason I might have seemed to be ungrateful for the help I was given.

Good news is that while the car was written off (not to mention the shop door and bits adjoining), nobody including me was hurt and that has to be the best blessing of all. I have a bruise on my hand and nothing more, but the ego suffered immensely as you can imagine. I was tied up with insurance and repair people not to mention police, firies and ambulance people plus the staff from the supermarket for quite a while and that helped avoid adverse reactions to a large extent. Bill was an onlooker so it affected him a lot more and he's still struggling to get over the shock of it all.

I promise that is my last attempt at attention grabbing for this lifetime and I'll settle back now and revel in the mundane nature of everyday living.

So, thank you again, people, for your help with Agnes and Malcolm. The information found so far has given me ammunition for further searching and that's what the game is all about, isn't it?

As I said, I'll get back to Sue and Sis later.

XXXX

AnnB, Doug, Sis and 2 others like this.
  8. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Oops. :oops:
    Dignity intact?
    Happy all are OK
    Easy done so don't feel too bad. {-(^^)-}

Ma-dotcom and Philippa like this.
  9. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Pleased to hear that you and Bill and no one else was hurt.

Don't ever worry if you can't reply straight away, we all know how life can get in the way sometimes. {-(^^)-}

Ma-dotcom and Philippa like this.
  10. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

So pleased to hear that the only things damaged were replacable and that you, Bill and everyone else weren't hurt.
    {-(^^)-}

Philippa likes this.
  11. MollyMay

No need for apologies, we will still be here once the shock and the consequences have abated. Take your time, but the sooner back behind the wheel again the better (and easier). {-(^^)-} for you and Bill.

Philippa likes this.