Alexander TIFFIN/TIFFEN/CONSTABLE

Discussion in 'Essex' started by Jellylegs, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Essex Parish Registers have the marriage of James Tiffin to Hetty Mann 12 Jan 1763. Once again cant view the image on FS. A baptism of James Tiffin to James Tiffin and Mehetible 25 Jan 1763 (gee they just made it to the altar in time..;)) Again no image. An Ancestry tree has the marriage as Mehetible which states that Mehetible was born in 1743 (I only get glances as I cant access)

Jellylegs likes this.
  2. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

The Hetty Mann who married James Tiffin in 1763, later married Joseph Scott in 1787 (James Tiffin having died 22 February 1780), so that eliminates that James Tiffin as the one bringing up Alexander Constable/Tiffin.

3. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Something to consider, being a constable in Essex doesn't mean he was born/baptised in Essex, he could have come from another county.

When looking for a Theobald ancestor sibling in a census, I came across a police constable with the Theobald surname who was born up in Northumberland.

Jellylegs likes this.
  4. Jellylegs

Thank you Derek. We have sorted out Alexander CONSTABLE who changed his name to TIFFIN. Just trying to work out which James TIFFIN "brung him up".

I've found a James TIFFIN marriage to a Lucy COTTEE (or Pottee as some sites have it :eek:) in 1792, but can't find anything later for a Lucy TIFFIN.

I've found a couple of deaths for a James TIFFIN in Essex that could be the James I am looking for, but nothing to tell me that it is. One in 1831 where James was aged 60, then another in 1822 which from memory doesn't give an age.

I am sure if the James TIFFIN mentioned in the Will of Mary CONSTABLE (Alexander's grandmother) was in a County other than Essex, she would have said so.

5. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

I should have explained that post of mine better, I put that out there mainly for anyone else looking for constables, to be aware that there is a chance they could come from other parts of a county or even other counties. :)

Sis and Daft Bat like this.
  6. Rick Wilson

Rick Wilson New Member

7. Rick Wilson

Rick Wilson New Member

I had a church record when he was on the board before 1821 he is named as Alexander Constable there. The record was on as site "Records of an English Village" and had all kinds of records back to 1300's. Unfortunately it was bought out by Ancestry and you have to pay a goodly sum to look at any record now.

GrannyBarb likes this.
  8. Jellylegs

I found the following baptisms to James and Mehetabel/Hetter/Hester.

- James 1763 in Great Tey, but then there was a burial a few days later in Earls Colne of a James Tiffin son of James Tiffin (and I cannot find any earlier baptisms of a James, son of James Tiffin).

- Hetty 1764 in Mile End, Colchester (can't find anything else on her).

- Sarah 1767 in Mile End Colchester (she died in 1832 as Sarah Scott)

- Thomas 1768 in Mile End Colchester (then a burial in 1769 in Copford)

- Robert 1770 in Copford (think he died in Nottingham in 1828)

But, James Tiffin and Hetty (nee Man/n) must have had a son James that survived as in Hetty's Will of 1825, she mentions her three children, Robert Tiffin of Nottingham, Sarah Scott (she married her step-brother Joseph Scott) and James Tiffin of Witham.

I've been trying to link Hetty's son James Tiffin to Alexander Constable as I am sure he is the one I have been looking for. The only thing I can come up with is the place Witham, Essex.

In his mother's Will she says he is of Witham.

Alexander Constable married in Witham in 1820, where he was residing, according to the marriage record. His bride was also from Witham.

There is a burial of a James Tiffin (of Witham) in Witham in 1831.

The only thing is that his age is given as 60 (so born circa 1770/71) but I can only find the one baptism of a James son of James and Hetty (or variants of) and that was the one in 1763, followed by a burial.

If anyone has stayed the course and managed to read all of this, do they think I have found the elusive James Tiffin who, according to Alexander Constable's grandmother's Will, brought up and maintained Alexander?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  9. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

It all makes sense to me, shame there does not appear to be a baptism for the c1770 born James which would seal it.

Jellylegs likes this.
  10. Jellylegs

Thanks @MollyMay, yes, a baptism would be nice or a Will, but can't find anything.

Oh well, think I will go with this being the James Tiffin connected to Alexander Constable/Tiffen.

MollyMay likes this.
  11. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Out of interest I did a search on Ancestry for James Tiffin 1760 to 1780, in additional to the one at Gt Tey up came this one.
    James Tuffen son of Isaac & Rose baptised 3 May 1772 at Great Henny, St Mary.

Only those two James came up.

In the period 1740 to 1780 a few more children of Isaac & Rose baptised at Great Henny.
    Isaac Tuffen 18 Mar 1750.
    Elizabeth Tuffin 26 Apr 1752.
    Edward Tuffen 23 Jun 1754.
    Rose Tuffen 8 Mar 1761.
    Rebecca Tuffen 27 Mat 1763.
    Thomas Tuffen 8 Sep 1765.
    Samuel Tuffin 17 Sep 1769.
    Edward Tuffen 4 Feb 1776. Only the father's name was given for Edward.

There was also an Edward and Mary Tuffin baptising children in Gt Henny.
    Sarah 9 Jun 1760.
    Sarah 30 Mar 1760.
    John 29 Jun 1766.

Probably no help but someone might be interested, also food for the Robots. :)

MollyMay likes this.