Alfred Arthur WILLIAMS

Discussion in 'Boer Wars (1880 - 1881 & 1899 - 1902)' started by mugwortismy cat, Jul 10, 2015.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

Ok, I have wandered a bit off focus here, Alfred is the husband of my cousin's sister-in-law

Birth registered in Newport, Monmouthshire Sep 1865 (I think ... he seems the most likely)

he married Mary Jane Gear in Cardiff in Jul-Sep 1894, by 1901 she is widowed with three children, I can't find a likely death in England & Wales -- I assumed therefore that he was a casualty of the 2nd Boer War

I've peeked at the Casualty list on Ancestry, there are several A Williams but no A A Williams -- and I don't know how to identify which casualty he is likely to be

I have seen on the free results on FMP, that the marriage was in Cardiff St Mary, and that there is a British Army record for an Alfred Arthur Williams bc 1865 enlisted 1883 at Abertillery, Pontypool (or is that place of birth?)

I know FMP are strict in their usage of info. but can someone look and tell me if it is worthwhile me getting a few credits?

Thanks

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

There are 3 pages of information.
    The first is all about him: date/place of birth, where residing etc - lots of information
    The second is a description of him - height, colour of eyes etc.
    The third is one line that gives his attestation date and some details of service.

So, yes, I would say that the information is enough to warrant getting a few credits. :)

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  3. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

there is a probate record for an Alfred Arthur Williams a steamship fireman died in Bilbao Spain left a widow Mary Jane Williams living in 4 Bradford street Grangetown Cardiff

4. mugwortismy cat

I've been too distracted to return to my own distraction :rolleyes:

Well I've had eyes on the British Army papers and it is a militia attestation, and no mention of service in the Boer War, so that scotched that theory :(

However, I also had a look at the marriage entry which says he was a seaman, so I was thinking death at sea ... but hadn't gotten around to doing anything about it

So well done @Sandiep ... you're spot on, thank you :D

Now, that is a very interesting Probate record ... it gives his name as Alfred Arthur WILLIAMS formerly Arthur Edward BULL : so was he adopted and the birth record I found a red herring, or did he have an alias???

I'll have to come back to this tomorrow :confused:

5. mugwortismy cat

Sorry just come back to give potentially useful info from the marriage; his father was given as Henry Williams, a draper

Now I really should try to sleep ...

6. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Muggy if you want the army papers I can get them and email privately - do hope I have not infringed any rules, if so can the mods please remove and re-direct - not sure how to do that

7. mugwortismy cat

Hilda, that's kind of you, but I've already been able to see them for myself :)

8. KATHLYN TALBOT

KATHLYN TALBOT New Member

re Alfred Arthur Williams

hi have just found this forum Alfred was my great grandfather and was married to mary jane for a short time before he drowned in bilboa spain . he was originally Arthur Edwards bull and was born in Manchester - am wondering if you have any further info about him - as he wasn't talked about in the family apparently

am sorry if I have got the protocol wrong re posting
    but am on nights and half asleep - fingers crossed thanks

Doug, Ma-dotcom, MollyMay and 3 others like this.
  9. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Muggy might not be around for a few days, but I'm sure she will post a reply when she sees this :)

10. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Welcome in Kathlyn, I'm on day shift here,[retired] but really no the half asleep mode, or lack of it. ;)

11. KATHLYN TALBOT

KATHLYN TALBOT New Member

thank you all so much for you replies

Ma-dotcom likes this.