Alfred Rule shot 1875

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by Genie1, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

FMP newspaper 3 February 1875 in the The Cornish Telegraph - Penzance, Cornwall, the above was shot by John Skewes.It happened at Goldhill,Storey County ,Nevada, North America.
    Is he a son of Johnson Rule and Elizabeth nee Thomas Rule?
    The report says he came from Camborne. The last I can find Alfred is in 1861 in Camborne living with his mother and siblings.
    The 1870 census has an Alfred Rule and a William H Rule at Sherman,Keweenaw,Michigan. Alfred had a brother with that name.
    Alfred's birth was 1849 but it would be 1850 in the report.Birth dates change.
    Will there be death certificate online?

2. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

The local records seem to start in 1875, so it's a toss-up as to whether one exists for this event. Here's a link to the FS wiki for Storey County, which has other links that may be helpful:

Code:
    https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Storey_County,_Nevada_Genealogy

Ma-dotcom, Genie1, AnnB and 1 other person like this.
  3. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

No luck with a death certificate but looking at the Rule tree I think that he is more than likely the person that I am looking for.

Alfred had a brother William H Rule and William's H Rule's son Richard Eade Rule emigrated to that area.Much later of course.

GrannyBarb likes this.
  4. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Code:
    https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn84022053/1874-12-22/ed-1/seq-3/#date1=1874&index=1&rows=20&words=Alfred+Rule&searchType=basic&sequence=0&state=Nevada&date2=1875&proxtext=Alfred+Rule&y=9&x=21&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1
    Dec. 22 1874...
    Further down on April 8th it says the trial started..April 11 John Skewe was released on bail as the jury didn't agree on a verdict.
    Found the Dec.21 paper..it has more information
    Code:
    chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn84022046/1874-12-21/ed-1/seq-3/#date1=1874&index=4&rows=20&words=Alfred+Rule&  searchType=basic&sequence=0&state=Nevada&date2=1875&proxtext="Alfred+Rule+"&y=15&x=17&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

Ma-dotcom and Chimp like this.
  5. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. I can't say like because of content.

Half Hour likes this.