Allen Dolby

Discussion in 'Empire & Commonwealth' started by ColinA, Aug 11, 2019.

1. ColinA

ColinA Active Member

Is there any way (just through curiosty) I could find out more about Allen Dolby [Find a Grave Memorial ID 202038113]?

I Googled South African newspaper archives but wasn't sure where to go next. I've done all I can on Ancestry and FMP with my type of subscriptions but nothing popped up suggesting I could see more if I upgraded!

EDIT - Just remembered Cyndi's List.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  2. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Hi, Colin.

Here's a link to the FamilySearch wiki page for South Africa. Some of their records might be available at a Family History Center or local library.

Code:
    https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/South_Africa_Genealogy

3. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

I can only find 2 records pertaining to an Allen DOLBY with a South African link, Colin. He died in South Africa on 30 November 1910 and was buried at Maitland Road Cemetery, Cape Town, on 2 December 1910, Grave No 1880B, of Episcopalian religion aged 36. However, Ancestry has his Civil Death record and shows that he was single, born England, a Railway Foreman, lived at 26 Falmouth Road, Mowbray and died of Acute Nephritis. Is he likely to be be your chap? Strangely there is a Find a Grave Index record for him (ID No 178159426) which shows that he was buried in Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire!! So I am not at all sure how accurate the Find a Grave record is.

Janet

ColinA likes this.
  4. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Allen Dolby.
    Maitland Cemetery Memorial 202038113 Birth 1875 Barnack Peterborough Unity Authority Cambridgeshire.
    'Allen was baptised on 28th February and followed his father into the bakery trade. He was a Journeyman Baker by the 1901 census. He travelled steerage to South Africa on 20th September 1902 aboard the Gascon from Southampton' From Findagrave memorial in Maitland, Cape Town
    John Little Dolby is buried in Whittlesey memorial 178159426 with Allen on the gravestone and his daughter Annie Elizabeth. Photo of this grave on Findagrave Whittlesey
    As Janet has stated Allen's death certificate is viewable on Family Search.

5. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Ah, that explains the Whittlesey connection then Sue. I should have delved a bit deeper!

Janet

Archie's Mum likes this.
  6. ColinA

ColinA Active Member

Yes Sue, I was the one who uploaded the photo and wrote the biography on FaG ;). In so doing my interest was peaked and I wondered how I could find out more. (You may have noticed the similarity in my user name!)

GrannyBarb and Archie's Mum like this.
  7. ColinA

ColinA Active Member

I have contacted the person who put up the 1st FaG memorial in Whittlesey. He is mentioned on the headstone there where it says he is buried in Maitland Cemetery.

I will look up the DC on Family Search tomorrow.

Thanks everyone.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  8. ColinA

ColinA Active Member

I found this record on Familysearch as I don't have worldwide Ancestry membership. Having looked at Google maps and the dates it seems a good fit. Odd change of profession from baker to railway foreman though!

Perhaps he felt he wasn't making enough dough and needed a more lucrative job... :D