American Civil War Soldiers

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by The Artful Dodger, Mar 13, 2014.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

I have been interested in the American Civil War for over 45 years.

Rather that post a whole lot of details - are there any members of TOP DOG that have followed such a line of enquiry?

The man in question is the gt. grandfather of my granduncle's wife. I met her in 1967 and what she told me got me interested in the subject

2. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Hi, Colin.

I live in Alabama. We have several Confederate forts and battlefields in our area that host re-enactments a few times a year. My husband's and father's ancestors were Confederate soldiers. On my mother's mother's side, both gr-gr-grandfathers were in the Union army. My sister has the tin-type photos of them in their uniforms.

Personally, I find all war abhorrent. However, I understand how important it is to study them, for multitudes of reasons. And I do find the subject interesting from an academic point of view. I just have to detach myself emotionally, and not think too much about the carnage.

So do you have a particular question and need help with research? Or are you just making conversation?

Regards from the sunny south,
    Barb

3. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

Hi Barb.
    Thank you for responding.

The question that I have relate to 2 individuals - both served for the Confederacy side - both are/were my person's Gt.-grandfathers.

Bradley Bunch [9 Dec 1818-1 Aug. 1894]
    American Civil War Soldiers:
    Name: Bradley Bunch
    Side Served: Confederacy
    State Served From: Arkansas
    Service Record: Enlisted as a Private. Enlisted in Johnson's Infantry Regiment Arkansas
    Sources: 425

David Terriall Ferguson [5 Dec 1816-1907]
    Arkansas, Confederate Pension Records, 1891-1935.
    Name: David T. Ferguson
    Residence Location: Carroll, Arkansas
    State Served From: Missouri
    Divison: Cavalry
    Company: C
    Regiment: Carroll
    Vet Application Year: 1901
    Comments: appoved

American Civil War Soldiers:
    Name: David Ferguson
    Side Served: Confederacy
    State Served From: Georgia
    Service Record: Enlisted as a Corporal. Enlisted in Company C, 13th Battn. St Gd Infantry Regiment Georgia
    Sources: 425

I believe the 2 references for Ferguson relate to the same individual, but confirmation would be appreciated.

Some background on the men:
    Bradley Bunch was born in Overton, Tennessee. By 1850, he was married, had 7 children and was living in Osage, Carroll County, Arkansas. He was a Farmer and owned property.
    In 1860 he was living in Kings River, Carroll County. He was a Farmer and owned property. Total value $4,000.00
    1870 & 1880 census has him living in Prairie, Carroll County. There are no surviving census records for 1890 and he is buried in Berryville, Carroll County.

David Terriall Ferguson was born in Georgia - exact location not known.
    He married in Alabama - exact date unknown - and by 1850 he was living in Barry, Missouri with his wife and 5 children.
    From at leat 1860 until his death, he was a Farmer and lived in Kings River, Carroll County. He was a Farmer - not worth as much as Bradley - but comfortable. He and his wife had 11 children [so far found] before her death in 1874 and burial in Grandview Cemetery, Carroll County.
    He is buried in Berryville, Carroll County.

So my questions are numeous but I would just like to have more information about their military life and whether the cemetery they are buried in is one to commemorate Confederate soldiers

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2014
  4. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

Why am I getting strike-throughs? - can they be removed.

Thanks

5. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Sorted. :)

6. Doug

Doug Administrator. The Main Man. Staff Member

Done. Are you creating your reply in a text program such as notepad etc then pasting here? If so it may be misinterpreting the formatting commands when you paste.

7. Doug

ROFL. I wonder which of us did it.

8. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

Thanks.

The answer - post #6 - I do it as a post reply on the forum. From time time to time I flip to my tree to get details and then add. The whole process takes more than 30 minutes before I actually post the reply

"Draft saved" message appears and so I continue and then after posting I see the strike-through.

Am I being timed out with this method?

9. Doug

If you were timed out you would not be able to make the post. No idea why the strike through is occurring Colin. Sorry.

10. GrannyBarb

Hi, Colin.

I'll address Bradley Bunch first. It appears from his record on Findagrave that he had an active political life post-war. The photo of his marker has a masonic emblem, but not a CSA designation. The cemetery appears to be a local family graveyard. There are bunches of Bunch's interred there. ;)

He does have a record at the US National Parks Service database along with a brief history of his regiment. The main site is at nps.gov/civilwar/index.htm. Let me know if you have issues with pulling up his particular info.

One more general Arkansas link:
    Arkansas History Commission and State Archives Civil War page:
    http://
    arkansascivilwar.com/

I didn't find Bunch in there, but it looks like an interesting read.

-Barb

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  11. GrannyBarb

Hi, Colin.

I looked at the NPS database for both David Ferguson's. They have the GA one as David L Ferguson... but it's a transcription. One would have to look at the pension application, which is an expense and takes a long time to receive. In popping around to various state-base CSA and CSV sites, it was not uncommon for soldiers to get separated from their "home" unit and join up with whatever group the could. So it is certainly possible for someone to enlist with one unit and end up with another from a different state.

That's a long way of saying "I don't know."

Also, I have not found a photo or verbatim transcription of his grave marker, so I don't know if he has a CSA on his marker or not.

BTW, many moons ago we were researching this fellow's marriage in Alabama. We never could find the record... strike two.

-Barb

The Artful Dodger likes this.