An unlucky family

Discussion in 'Essex' started by Findem, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Tidying up this family brought a surprise.

It's the family of James Hinton and his wives Mary Pudney who married 14 Nov 1682 at Terling Essex and Mary Lies who he married 2 Sep 1690 at Fairstead Essex.
    Their children
    Baptised Buried
    James Hinton 30 Sep 1683 Terling.
    John Hinton 12 Mar 1684 Terling. 15 May 1686 Terling.
    John Hinton 10 Nov 1687 Terling. 9 Aug 1733 Sandon.
    Mary Hinton 17 May 1690 Terling. 27 May 1690 Terling.
    Mary Hinton 20 Dec 1691 Terling. 21 Aug 1694 Hatfield Peverel.
    Mary Hinton 10 Aug 1694 Hatfield Peverel buried 20 Jul 1695 Hatfield Peverel.
    Mary Henton 3 Aug 1695 Hatfield Peverel.

The first four children were with Jame's first wife Mary Pudney, the remainder with his second wife Mary Lies.
    The Hatfield Peverel baptism entries mentioned Mary as the mother's name.
    There was a Mary Henton buried 22 Nov 1695 at Messing, Essex I'm wondering if she is Mary Hinton nee Lies or Mary her daughter, no identifying details in the entry.

Then there was a James Hinton who married Elizabeth Waldran 9 Sep 1695 at Witham which is close to Hatfield Peverel, no indication of course in the entry on EPRI to indicate if this James was a widdower or singleman, found this just now whilst rechecking a couple of details. Following that I found thirteen children of that couple all baptised in Hatfield Peverel 1698 to 1714, one of them yet another Mary Hinton baptised 17 Apr 1698 at Hatfield Peverel. Also one of the thirteen children was a James baptised 1704.

If the family of James and Elizabeth Hinton is of interest to anyone I can supply the names and dates.

The John Hinton who survived is my ancestor, he was a Blacksmith.

Half Hour likes this.
  2. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Forgot to mention that if the James Hinton who married Elizabeth Waldran is one and the same who married the two Marys, he is joint record holder with another ancestor, Martin Olley, for having three wives and twenty children.

3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

I was going to say ‘busy boy’ but retracted that statement. Rather I’d say ‘busy ladies’.

4. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Disregard the placing, a recount puts him in second place, he only had 19 children with 3 wives. Mind you even that 2nd place could be up for revision if the James Hinton who married Elizabeth is not the same James who married the two Marys. Knowing my luck the marriage entry will not state whether single or widower, Ancestry's Essex Parish Register Index is not giving anything away, just the bare bones.

When I called them James and the Marys unlucky I was referring to their efforts to have a healthy daughter Mary, James had 4 Marys with the two wives named Mary and 1 with Elizabeth. Two shots at a John and now I find he also had a James with Elizabeth who was baptised 20 Aug 1704 and buried 5 Feb 1704 at Hatfield Peverel. Which of course could mean that the James he had with his first wife, Mary nee Lies, died.

I'm about to see if I can find a burial for the James baptised 1683 at Terling.