Ancestor!!!

Discussion in 'Kent' started by spam, Apr 10, 2018.

1. spam

spam New Member

I am so frustrated that I cannot find the Parents of my "Ancestor- Philip Wood born about 1755 in Eastwell Kent Married Mary Hammond in 1779 died in Petham all in Kent, where most of the Wood Family have lived. As I have said, though I have paid for information, nothing! Can anyone help PLEASE!!!

GrannyBarb likes this.
  2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Hi Spam,

I have been having a rummage but keep getting hits for a Philip WOOD who married Mary HAMMOND in 1777 in Molash, which is about 8 miles from Petham. Also, the only death of a Philip WOOD in Petham that I have seen who could be him was in 1831 at the age of 82, giving him a birth year of about 1749.

Is that a completely different person?

What is the source for his being born in Eastwell?

Jellylegs likes this.
  3. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

I'm with you, Jan, on this one! The burial record of a Philip WOOD of Petham is available to view on FindmyPast and the details fit with those Jan has quoted in her post above, as does the marriage record of Philip WOOD & Mary HAMMOND at Molash in 1777, the original parish register images of both banns and marriage being available to view on FMP. Baptism of son John in 1777 and daughter Elizabeth in 1779 both at Molash - original images on FMP.

Has the Eastwell connection been confused with the baptismal record of their son Philip which took place there on 10 December 1780? I'm guessing that son Philip married Sophie BIRCHETT at Petham in 1807 - original image also on FMP. Other children of Philip & Mary baptised at Eastwell - transcriptions only of Eastwell on FMP.

FMP has the original image of the baptism of a Philip WOOD at Challock in June 1748 - can't give you full details because of their terms & conditions, but Challock is pretty near to both Molash & Eastwell, so is a definite possibility.

Janet

Jellylegs and Daft Bat like this.
  4. spam

spam New Member

Many thanks for you replies, I first had philip wood in eastwell from Family Search some time ago. All the rest of your info matches, will try the earlier birth date, the hope that I can find his parents!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2018
  5. spam

spam New Member

The above person I think born about 1749/55 in East Kent. Father Valentine Wood born 1787 but I cannot find Philip's parents!!!

6. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

Looking on FamilySearch:

Philip Wood baptised 26 June 1748 in Challock (FamilySearch) gives parents as John and Ann.

A John Wood married Ann Amos or Amous on 28 December 1747 at Molash (again from FamilySearch). The original is on FMP and I would go with the second surname.

janetbooth likes this.