Ancestry help

Discussion in 'Genealogy Software' started by Eve, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Eve

Eve Well-Known Member

I have a female recorded on the 1911 census as a daughter but I have now found records to confirm that she is actually a granddaughter - her mother Edith is also recorded on this census return.

How can I change the relationship to detach her from Grandparents and add to her actual mother ?(I was hoping without deleting all her info and starting again)

I looked at edit relationships which gives an option to “add alternative mother” but it won’t pick up Edith.

2. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

You need to detach her from her wrong parents first, else you can't add her to her mother as she appears to be a sibling

You will have to do it in two discrete steps if you remove the parents and try to add the right mother at the same time it won't work

Eve likes this.
  3. Eve

Eve Well-Known Member

@mugwortismy cat. I've been trying stuff out on a defunct Ancestry tree and always lose some sort of info.She is linked to the parents via the 1911 census, and I have tried to remove her from The only thing I think I can do is delete her from the siblings list. add her to Edith as her daughter and find and re-attach her records. Luckily I hadn't yet added any family to her yet !!

4. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

If you go into Edit Relationships you can remove her current parents, then you can add the correct mother (But you need to come out of the Edit Relationships then go back in for it to work)

upload_2021-7-9_9-7-13.png

upload_2021-7-9_9-13-1.png

Not the best example because I haven't added his parents, but you just click on the X to remove someone, and click on the +Add to add someone. You shouldn't lose anything doing it this way. The only time you would is changing spouses when you would probably need to re-add the marriage info.

Ma-dotcom, Chimp and Bay Horse like this.
  5. Eve

Eve Well-Known Member

Thank you @mugwortismy cat. I think Ive managed it, yep, coming out and back in to "edit relationships" seems to have worked. x

mugwortismy cat, Chimp and Daft Bat like this.
  6. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

While reading the above post yesterday, I went into my Ancestry tree to see what was what- except that I was told tree was no longer available. :eek: Tried the other tree main line, same - no longer available. :headbang: desparate now I tried Husbands line tree, okay he's got one, so I sauntered back to the first two, - yay & hooray, there they were.

Ancestry was just checking my mental stability & resourcefulness, or something,.

7. Eve

Eve Well-Known Member

Wow, scary moment :eek:

Ma-dotcom likes this.