Ancestry old and new search

Discussion in 'Research Hints' started by Dee Dee, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Dee Dee

Dee Dee Well-Known Member

As a transcriber I used to transcribe from LDS films which meant there was little adjustments apart from a magnifying glass. Digital copies are so much better to transcribe from. Our OPC database has an error report system and I never have a problem being "corrected"

2. Malcolm Webb

Malcolm Webb Well-Known Member

I've just tried again and realised how it works.

If you right click on the image and choose "save image as" it saves as a png file by default in a location of your choosing. There is no choice to amend the file type, but previously there used to be as I recall.

BUT

If you click the orange "save" button in the top RH corner then choose "save to my computer" it downloads as a jpeg file into your computer's default folder for downloads. You don't need to know where this folder is -- just open "downloads" on the Windows top bar, click on the file you have just saved to open it then save it again to the folder you want.

I have changed the default location of all downloads to a folder on my PC which I call "Downloads". That way I know where every download goes and I regularly clear out the ones that are of no further use. If you open a file on the internet (Word, pdf, etc) it saves a copy in the default downloads folder on your computer. You'll be absolutely amazed how many files are in your downloads folder that you only looked at briefly whilst "googling" and they were no use then and are of even less use now.

All the best,
    Malcolm Webb
    Lincoln UK

Ma-dotcom and Eve like this.
  3. Dee Dee

Funny old world and we all learn something from somebody. I hadn't realised an alternative to using the orange save button which is what I use. So,whilst I hadn't realised a problem with saving images but some will so this Forum will save others from having the same problem as Malcolm. I would not have thought to post a "correction" about the orange button not realising there was an alternative. If that makes sense:)

4. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Makes perfect sense....I always use the orange button and wondered what the problem was as I have saved a bunch of stuff over the last few days and not had a problem.:)

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  5. Malcolm Webb

It does now :) But I don't recall ever using the orange button before (if it was there). I just used to right click and "save image as". Or that's what I remember :( Funny thing getting old. Plays havoc with the memory. Last time I lost my mobile phone I rang the number and the fridge staretd playing a tune!!

All the best,
    Malcolm Webb
    Lincoln UK

6. Dee Dee

As far as I can remember-and we all have these doubts it seems-I have always used the orange button. I am one who forgets about right clicking so it makes sense that I always have. Fancy !! Musical 'fridges thank goodness for poor memory without it we would miss out on all that fun(+)(^^)(+)

7. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

Hi Malcolm

have tried the download folder but nothing couldnt find it at first hubby found it in "my computor"............I had already tried right click and save page but it only saves part of image:eek:
    going to get hubby to sit down and go through it with me.......why does Ancestry have to make life difficult......had it all sussed before.

8. Malcolm Webb

Read my post #62. Don't right click -- use the orange "save" button, as others do

As for the downloads, you can dictate where your computer saves downloads -- by default it will save to somewhere stupid and illogical that you will have difficuly finding.

I use Mozilla Firefox as my default browser. In "Tools"-"Options"-"General" look at the "downloads" button and it will tell you the current default download location. You can browse to anywhere on your computer and change that default location. On my computer I have created a folder called "Data" and a sub-folder under there called "downloads". I have changed the default download location to C:\data\downloads so everything that gets downloaded goes there by default. It is then easy to find them, rename and sort them or clear them out if they are no longer needed.

All the best,
    Malcolm Webb
    Lincoln UK

9. Sandiep

Hi Malcolm

I have tried save button but god knows where it sends it not to any of the places I have tried..........it still works in Basic!!
    havent had time today to sit down with hubbie..thank you for your patience with me.......I have Internet explorer as my browser using windows 7
    sandie

10. Malcolm Webb

Hi Sandie,

I hate Windows Explorer -- but that's another story. To change the default downloads folder in IE go to "Tools"--"view downloads"--"options". In Windows 8 a window pops up giving the option to browse your computer and choose a new default location for the download files. You need to have created your own default folder before you can browse and choose it.

Hope this helps,
    Malcolm Webb
    Lincoln UK

11. Sandiep

I dont seem to have a view downloads .....can only find a downloads in "my computor".............and its windows 7 I have .....my administrator(hubbie) doesnt like win 8.
    off to bang head against wall .......then close down till tomorrow then try again

sandie

12. Mutters

Mutters I am not bossy, I just have better ideas.

I've no idea where my downloads go.
    I'm using Windows 7 and Firefox.
    If I download something, I note it's file name or at least most of it.
    Then I click Start and enter the file name (or part of it) into the search box.
    A right click of the mouse will give me all sorts of choices to find it, print it, save it or whatever. I often then click 'properties' which tells me the path, if I need to know that. ;)

Ma-dotcom and Mealymoo like this.
  13. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

I do the same Mutters, and then I can drag and drop if I wish to send it as an attachment :).

14. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Windows 7 has a place called Recent Places in your Documents folder... That's where I find most of my stuff after I do a download ;) It's a magical place :D

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  15. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

My operating system is Windows Vista, that too has a 'Recent Places'.

16. Malcolm Webb

If you are using Firefox there are 2 ways to see what has been downloaded without knowing where the files are or noting the file name and searching for it:-
    1. on the top menu bar click "tools" -- "downloads" and a new window opens with a list of all the downloads. Double click the one you want to open it then save it with a new name if required in a folder of your choice: and
    2. at the right hand end of the navigation bar (where you type in an address to go to) click on the down arrow which then says "show all downloads". Click this and the window with the list of downloads as in 1 above will open.

Hope this helps,
    Malcolm webb
    Lincoln UK

Huncamunca likes this.
  17. Malcolm Webb

My computer has IE 10 and Windows 8. It took a bit of getting used to but I now prefer W8 to previous versions. All browsers -- IE, Firefox, Google Chrome, etc will have a means of viewing the downloads without having to know where they are or making notes and searching for them as Mutters does. You just need to find the right button to press in the browser you are using.

All the best,
    Malcolm Webb
    Lincoln UK

18. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Thank you for those tips, Malcolm: until now I've always gone to My Computer > Downloads. I shall have to hope I will remember your quicker way next time I'm looking for my downloads, then get used to doing it that way. However, now that I am officially* old I don't know if I will be able to learn new tricks so easily.

*according to Facebook, which has stopped showing me ads for dating agencies, wedding photographers, etc. and started showing me ads for wrinkle cream and funeral planning services. :(

Eve, Mealymoo, Ma-dotcom and 3 others like this.
  19. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Special favours huh?

20. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

When I click the orange 'save' button, I get two options, either to 'save record and start a family tree' or 'save to my computer'.
    After choosing 'save to my computer' I then get a bar come up at the bottom of the screen which asks if I want to open the file or save it. There are three options under this message - open, save or cancel.
    The save option has a dropdown button which then gives me the choice of 'save', 'save as' or 'save and open'. By choosing 'save as' I can then decide where to save the file, so it goes straight to the right place.......

I found this out purely by trial and error as I was having the problem of the computer seemingly sending the files to a Bermuda Triangle located somewhere within the system, so I decided to try out the save as button and see where it took me :rolleyes:

I have Windows 7 and IE.

Ann
    PS I eventually found some of the files I had previously 'lost' as they had been seemingly saved in various folders on the computer - I think they had been downloaded to whichever file I had been downloading other things to before - if you see what I mean (I just use the machine, haven't got a clue how its mind works :confused:)
    And if all that makes sense.......

Mealymoo likes this.