Ann Cheddy AKA Wilkinson nee Milton, missing in 1939

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Sue036, May 19, 2020 at 1:33 AM.

1. Sue036

Sue036 Well-Known Member

Ann Milton was born in 1898 in Blackburn, Lancashire, and was the daughter of William Milton and Elizabeth (nee Higginson).

In 1919 she married George Richard Cheddy, in Oswaldtwistle. As far as I can discover, they had no children. In 1923 George Cheddy went to Canada.

Between 1928 and 1934 several children were born in the Fylde District registered both as Cheddy MMN Milton and as Wilkinson MMN Milton. In later life they were all known as Wilkinson. (I know that all of those children are now deceased, but not giving full details as a younger sibling may be still living.)

An electoral register for 1931 lists 'Anne' Cheddy living with John Wilkinson in Marton, Blackpool.

Ann Cheddy AKA Wilkinson nee Milton died in Blackpool in 1945. Her death registration is indexed under all three surnames.

I am unable to find Ann, nor any of her children, in the 1939 Register. I can't find John Wilkinson either, but that is probably because there are so very many people with that name and I have no idea of his birth date.

I have looked for them at the address given in 1931, but they are not there.

I haven't so far ordered her death cert, nor the birth certs for any of her children, because my main interest is in her partner John Wilkinson. I expect they couldn't marry as she was unable to divorce her first husband. I was hoping that the 1939 register might give me John's birth date and occupation. Failing that, I hoped to at least confirm my understanding of her own birth date and the number of her children. I know that John could have been in the forces and the children evacuated, but nonetheless Ann must still be there, somewhere?

2. Sue036

Sue036 Well-Known Member

Forgot to say that what is very probably Ann's baptism gives her date of birth as 7th October 1898.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  3. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

A School record on FMP gives her birth date of 7 October 1898 - father William.

Ma-dotcom and Sue036 like this.
  4. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

The nearest I can find is Anne (transcribed as Annie) MALHOLLAND (which is then crossed out and CHEDDY written above) in Birmingham with a birth date of 1 Oct 1898. She is listed as a widow. No lines blanked out though, as if she has children with her.

5. Sue036

Sue036 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, have found two records actually and they do match and also have her siblings, so I am pretty sure of her birth date now!

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  6. Sue036

Sue036 Well-Known Member

I've seen that one before and have looked, without success, for a Ma(u)lholland / Cheddy marriage ... there is a 'M' in the register on the LHS, which I believe refers to a marriage after the register was complied?

No reason to expect Ann to be in Birmingham, but you never know?

7. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

I cannot find any of them in the 1939 Register either. Looking back at the Electoral Registers of Marton, there is a John WILKINSON living with an Annie WILKINSON at Stockydale from 1921-1930 inclusive, then there is the 1931 Electoral Register you found with John WILKINSON living with Anne CHEDDY at Norfolk Road. There is no mention of an Anne CHEDDY on the Electoral Registers prior to 1931 at Marton, so are Annie WILKINSON & Anne CHEDDY one and the same? Not that this helps you to solve your dilemma I'm afraid.

Janet

Sue036 likes this.
  8. Sue036

Sue036 Well-Known Member

I can't be sure of that? How did you find the earlier Electoral Register entries ... was it on FMP or?

9. janetbooth

Yes, they are all on FMP. Unfortunately the Electoral Registers seem to stop after 1931 and I cannot believe that the whole family of Anne CHEDDY/WILKINSON seem to disappear without trace!

Janet

Sue036 likes this.
  10. Sue036

Sue036 Well-Known Member

OK, thanks, have found them now. I was looking under Blackpool instead of Fylde. :oops:

I know, I can't believe it either! :headbang: Especially as I know that they were having children in the area in the 1930s and that Ann died there in 1945.

The electoral registers collection on FMP only goes up to 1932. A local library might possibly have later ones - I haven't checked because I know they are closed at present anyway. I might have a look to see if that's an option for later.

The only other thing I can think of is to start shelling out for certificates (for Ann's death and the births of her children) on the off-chance they might add some useful information. Before I do that I will investigate how long it might take to browse the area in the 1939 register? Will also have a look at my book collection, to see if there's any other 20th Century sources I have thus far overlooked. :reading:

Thank you for your help with this!

Sue

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  11. Sue036

Sue036 Well-Known Member

Re electoral registers, having consulted the relevant Gibson guide and the British Library website, it appears that the British Library have the only additional surviving register of interest, for 1937-38. So far as I can see this is only available for consultation on site in London, so even without the lock-down, during which the site is currently closed, this would have to go on my 'list of things to do in London'. At least it hasn't missed my usual annual trip to London, which would have been this month if it hadn't been cancelled! Anyway, there's a certificate I could order that would provide an address around the same time, and be somewhat cheaper than a trip to London ...

Ma-dotcom, janetbooth and GrannyBarb like this.
  12. janetbooth

The address on one of the children's birth certificates might prove useful to see if it ties in with the Electoral Register addresses, mightn't it and hopefully Ann's Death Certificate might also give you some useful information. Let us know how you get on won't you - I am intrigued to know where all the children are hiding.

Janet

13. Sue036

Sue036 Well-Known Member

OK, I've begun by ordering Ann's death certificate. Due in about 3 weeks, although the last one I ordered from the same place was a bit quicker (fingers crossed).

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  14. janetbooth

My fingers crossed too!

Janet

Sue036 likes this.