Another Elusive Ancestor

Discussion in 'Lancashire' started by Bonzo Dog, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

My 6G grandmother Jennet, née Danson, was baptised at St Mary's Ulverston 14 Sep 1724 together with presumably a brother Thomas and a sister Elizabeth. They are all described as adult and no DOB or father information is given.

She married Giles Preston 24 November 1729 at St Mary's, and I believe he was buried there 21 November 1774. As for Jennet, precisely nothing else has yet been found.

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Hows does Jennet Danson 10 Sept 1699 father James. Pilling Lancashire .....sound? :)
    Family Search.

3. Archie's Mum

OK. The date above was a baptism, not a birth, at St John the Baptist, Pilling, Lancashire.
    Jane 1 January 1685
    David 1 March 1696
    Jennet 10 Sept 1699.
    A James Danson married Ellen Hey 15 April 1684, St John the Baptist Pilling.
    There is also a Thomas but father was William 24 Dec 1693.
    That is the only Jennet I can see.
    Also a Jennett Denison, Dalton-on-Furness father William seems to have a brother Thomas and other siblings including an Elizabeth.
    A Jenet Denison buried in 1755 Dalton-on-Furness so probably not yours.

4. Archie's Mum

Burial of Jennet Preston 21 November 1757 Colne Lancashire residence Colnefield. Could be her.

5. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

Thank you Sue. I also came across this burial record (pity there's no age recorded). It's rather a long way south but not impossible as there are no Colne marriage records to rule her out.

The entry for Jennet's husband in the Wills proved at Richmond collection on FMP doesn't have a copy of his Will, but simply lists him as a Yeoman from Ulverston, while his burial record is for Mr. Giles Preston. :)

Their 2 surviving children were both married in Ulverston, and while my 5G grandmother moved to live in the next parish, her brother (who didn't marry until 1767) spent his whole life in Ulverston.

I do wonder if my as yet unidentified 7G grandparents were Quakers (which could explain the adult baptisms) and that Jennet outlived her husband and opted to be buried as a Quaker. Sadly the records on FMP are silent on this point.

Going off piste a touch, but a Jennet Preston featured in the Pendle witch hunt in the early 1600's. She was convicted of witchcraft and hanged at York. Now if there happens to be a family connection. . . . :rolleyes:

Archie's Mum likes this.
  6. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

In case you do not know her father's name was William - I found it on baptisms. She is elusive. I cannot really find her. I too saw the death for 1757 at Colne - but it doesn't really give any information. Yes you are right perhaps Jennet Preston was indeed hung at York in 1612. It would be very interesting if she was an ancestor.

Sis likes this.
  7. Archie's Mum

Apparently this Jennet was Jennet Balderstone of Gisburn who married William Preston in 1587. Fascinating story. Hanged for the witchcraft murder of Thomas Lister who appears to be more than an acquaintance. ;);)

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.