Anthony TINKLER

Discussion in 'Leicestershire' started by Daft Bat, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Anthony was buried on 7th May 1857 in Chadwell, Leicestershire at the age recorded of 79 – so born about 1778

The 1851 census (2091/542/5) has him living in Chadwell aged 71 with his son – so born about 1780.

The 1841 census (593/12/5/15) has him in Chadwell aged 65 with his wife Ann. As ages were rounded down to the nearest 5 years, he could have been born any time between 1772 and 1776.

There is a baptism of an Anthony TINKLER on 3rd March 1771 at Waltham on the Wolds (about 3 miles from Chadwell) to Thomas and Dorothy. However, this would make him about 86 when he was buried, 80 in the 1851 census and 70 in 1841 – the latter not being far off.

Opinions please:

Is this the same chap as I can find no other baptism with a later date?

Could the baptism be that of a sibling who died – although I can find no related burial and then Anthony was named after that dead sibling?

Whilst I know that ages at death are only as good as the knowledge of the person reporting it, could the age really be that far out?

Thank you. :)

2. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Well, I can't find anything to disprove that the Anthony Tinkler born in 1771 is the one you are looking for, except for the discrepancy in ages. The papers don't hold any clues, although there are several references to Tinklers in both Chadwell and Waltham - let me know if you are interested ;)

Daft Bat likes this.
  3. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

I think he is pretty likely to be the same chap, Jan. FMP have a pretty good coverage of Leicestershire parish registers and according to the census records your Anthony was born in Leicestershire/Chadwell. There is only one Anthony TINKLER baptised in Chadwell, using a search parameter of ten years either side of 1775, according to the register and that is the one in 1771, son of Thos & Dorothy. There is a son Edward baptised in 1768 at Chadwell, Anthony in 1771, James in 1774, Elizabeth in 1776, Henry in 1778, Mary in 1780. There is only one Anthony TINKLER on the Leicestershire FHS Burial Index 1813 onwards and in the parish registers on FMP, that being your Anthony buried at Chadwell in 1857, aged 79. There is only 1 Anthony TINKLER on the GRO Index whose death is recorded between 1851 and 1861 in Leicestershire and that is your Anthony in 1857, aged 79, and there is only one Anthony TINKLER in Leicestershire in the census records. Unfortunately, his marriage record is not much help as at first glance the witnesses do not seem to be relatives.

Hope this helps a bit.

Janet

AnnB and Daft Bat like this.
  4. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

I too have had a look and come to the conclusion they are all one and the same man despite the age discrepancy.
    I did see in 1823 he got 3 months for stealing lead from a roof!
    I also checked the PR in case the age had been badly written, but it says 79
    upload_2020-1-2_11-36-26.png

AnnB and Daft Bat like this.
  5. Daft Bat

Yes please, @AnnB :D

6. Daft Bat

Thank you for a very comprehensive reply @janetbooth :) I think that I will be going with it, but value the opinions of others. :)

7. Daft Bat

Yup! I saw that as well, @MollyMay :D

MollyMay likes this.
  8. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Am on to it :)

Daft Bat likes this.
  9. Daft Bat

Thank you! ():-)

AnnB likes this.