Anyone have access to the NBI?

Discussion in 'Essex' started by Findem, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

If so could you look for the burial of Robert Walford baptised 10 Nov 1673 at Great Yeldham, Essex, the son of Robert and Susanna Walford.

That couple baptised another son named Robert 20 Nov 1678 at Great Yeldham.

I have tried all manner of searches on Ancestry's Essex Parish Register Index, FreeReg, FMP and Family Search with no success.

The only burial of a Robert Walford for this family was the Robert Walford husband of Susanna, he was buried 1697 at Great Yeldham.

Robert & Susanna Walford baptised 15 children from 1673 to 1694 at Great Yeldham, Robert senior was only 45 when he died.

It was interesting to note that after the 5th child was baptised, the PR baptism entries for the rest of the children named him as Mr Robert Walford.

Half Hour likes this.
  2. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

sorry Derek no Luck looked in Great Yeldham even tried Halstead and Braintree but some burials are missing

Findem likes this.
  3. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Thanks for trying Sandie.

Regards.

Sandiep likes this.
  4. patten-walsh

patten-walsh Well-Known Member

The only one I can see is a Robert Walford burial 1669 St Nicholas, Castle Headingham

Sandiep and Findem like this.
  5. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Thanks for looking pattern-walsh, I had that one and Robert Wolford (EPRI), Walford (FreeReg) 10 Jul 1657, at Wakes Colne, neither site had further info to identify them.

Around the time I was looking for the Robert Walford who married Susanna Sherwood in 1672 at Stambourne, in Essex there were three Robert Walfords.

Robert Walford baptised 8 Jan 1621 Finchingfield, of Thomas & Marthawell, that Robert would have been 50 in 1672.

Robert Walford baptised 8 Feb 1652 at Black Notley of Edwin and Dorcas, he would have been 20 in 1672 and Robert and Susanna Walford named children, Edwin and Dorcas, so I chose this couple after checks.

Robert Walford baptised 25 Jul 1658 at Wethersfield of Robert, he would only be 14 in 1672.

I'm thinking now that the burial of Robert and Susanna's first son named Robert is in the missing burials that Sandiep mentioned, fortunately Robert junior is not an ancestor, his sister Elizabeth is, I was trying to tidy up that family.

I was surprised that of this family with 15 children I can only find two that died as children, two daughter Dorcas and Grace.

Regards.

Sandiep and Sis like this.
  6. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Just for the record.

The Robert Walford I mentioned, son of Thomas and Marthawell, FreeReg have the mother's name as Margaret.

There was a another son baptised the same day Syles and of course on the EPRI the mother's name is Marthawell.

Looking up burials on FreeReg I found Giles Walford buried 25 Mar 1622 son of Thomas and Margaret.
    On the EPRI the burial entry gives the mother of Giles as Margaret, it also got Giles first name correct.

So Margaret it is. :)

Sandiep likes this.
  7. Lusmum

Lusmum Well-Known Member

Just a thought, maybe the first son didn’t die, I read a story of a woman searching for an ancestor by the name Stephen, after she found him she also found 2 marriages and assumed he had married twice. It wasn’t until she got their fathers Will she realised there were 2 of them, he left his estate to Stephen the elder and Stephen the younger. It turned out he had had 6 sons and named all of them Stephen after him, hoping one would survive to carry on his name...

8. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

I did wonder if the first Robert had lived but not having it happened before or heard of it, I dismissed the idea, perhaps I should try looking at Robert Walford marriages again.

I have two children of the same family named John Free 1609 and 1616, children of John & Johane aka Joane Free in the same boat so perhaps the two families need more scrutiny.

Thanks for the thought.

Regards

Sandiep likes this.
  9. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Sorry, that was incorrect, The Frees married into the Knowles aka Noules and that family married in my mother's line the Card family.

The Walfords married into the Unwins, Elizabeth Wade nee Unwin (widow) married that elusive beggar Repentance Stowell, the bane of my genealogical life.

The Stowells are also my maternal line.

I was researching both lines almost simultaneously getting confused who belongs to who. :confused: o_O :mad: :D

Sandiep and MollyMay like this.